The Delaware & Chesapeake DE-1 Class 2-10-4
Builder:
Baldwin Locomotive Works
Number Built: 15
Used: 1934 - 1963

The Delaware & Chesapeake was one of several railroads across the Northeastern United States to bill itself primarily on bridge and other freight traffic. Having been built starting in 1872 to link Baltimore and Philadelphia with both northern New Jersey and the coalfields around Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, the line would ironically become a closs ally of the very railroad it originally sought to subvert - the Pennsylvania Railroad. Much of the NYL&C's life was spent as a cut-off for freight traffic the PRR would bring in to Harrisburg, Lancaster, or Baltimore for transport north to Philadelphia, New York, and the Lackawanna county region. This bond with the PRR contrasted heavily with the Reading/Central Jersey, which worked actively with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to be a thorn in the side to the PRR.

It was to this end that the Delaware Line would spend most of its locomotive budget on eight-coupled and ten-coupled locomotives, with a few Pacifics for what little passenger traffic the line had - which was mostly commuter service in the Philadelphia/Trenton area. While the majority of these steamers were USRA derivatives, they also owned Van Sweringen Berkshires and of course, the "Delaware" 2-10-4s. These large locomotives were built in the 1930s in order to reduce crew costs caused by the need to doublehead coal trains especially on the mainline from Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to the yards and locomotive facilities at Newton, Pennsylvania. However, there was also a need for these locomotives to have a reasonable bit of speed to them.

This combination of factors would lead to the Delaware Line asking Baldwin for help, and the solution was to clone the AT&SF's TEX-1b class of 2-10-4 locomotives to save money on production. The TEX-2 was chosen as a template due to its success on the ATSF with hauling heavy frieght at reasonably fast speeds for a ten-coupled locomotive. The first of these locomotives, #4600, rolled out of Baldwin's factories in 1929, and was set to work on the heavy coal traffic out of Scranton south to Philadelphia in a hurry. The 4600 proved a success, and another fourteen were constructed in 1935 for work on the coal trains. In service, the locomotives performed admirably, and were favorites among crews for their speed and power.

All of the Delaware class locomotives performed admirably in their carreers, with an additional ten being constructed for service on the D&C's main line from New York to Harrisburg via Easton, Belthlemen, and Reading. It was these locomotives that would be among the last D&C locomotives in service when diesels took over starting in the late 1940s, even with the energy crisis delaying the process. Fortunately, one 4603 was preserved as a static display at Newton, Pennsylvania.

Personally thinking along the lines of a RENFE Garratt type thing now or possibly something like the AD60 but blown up and with a trailing axel deleted. There is also the Sharratt (a Shay-Garratt proposal) which might be funny as hell for another use.
Your best bet is to look to South African Garratts for inspiration IMO.

Your best bet is to look to South African Garratts for inspiration IMO.
Yeah I would but in terms of scale they are a bit off - probably the design I will eventually go for will draw from a lot of different places but we shall see. Again, jumping topics a little bit to a hypothetical C&NW Pacific Extension to Oregon. Obviously it would need bigger motive power and I currently have in mind possibly a 4-8-8-2 as a fast flatland freight engine in the 1930s/1940s and a set of bigger 2-8-8-2s for the mountain work.

Yeah I would but in terms of scale they are a bit off - probably the design I will eventually go for will draw from a lot of different places but we shall see. Again, jumping topics a little bit to a hypothetical C&NW Pacific Extension to Oregon. Obviously it would need bigger motive power and I currently have in mind possibly a 4-8-8-2 as a fast flatland freight engine in the 1930s/1940s and a set of bigger 2-8-8-2s for the mountain work.
I think a 4-6-6-4 would be a much better choice of you want a fast flatland machine. Or maybe even a 2-6-6-4 like a clone of the N&W A Class.

I think a 4-6-6-4 would be a much better choice of you want a fast flatland machine. Or maybe even a 2-6-6-4 like a clone of the N&W A Class.
I was more thinking along the lines of the first 4-8-8-2 being partially a conversion of a simple articulated 2-8-8-2 and partially inspired by the Espee's Cab Forwards although obviously not Cab Forward. A 4-6-6-4 might be an interesting War Baby though

I was more thinking along the lines of the first 4-8-8-2 being partially a conversion of a simple articulated 2-8-8-2 and partially inspired by the Espee's Cab Forwards although obviously not Cab Forward. A 4-6-6-4 might be an interesting War Baby though
If you want a high speed machine you're better off just sticking to a challenger or perhaps a 2-6-6-4.

In the same vein to my earlier ATSF steam ideas, here is what Norfolk & Western steam looked like in my AU by the year 1959, only two years before steam retirements began in earnest with the switchers going first.

In my TL, the N&W is a slightly bigger railroad, with additional mainlines from Cincinnati, Ohio to St. Louis, Missouri via Bloomington, Indiana, from Columbus, Ohio to Toledo, Ohio (with partial ownership of the D&TSL to reach Detroit, Michigan), from Durham to Raleigh and Wilmington, North Carolina, and several lines linking the railroad to Richmond, Virginia. In addition, PRR connections got the N&W to Chicago via Cincinnati and to Harrsiburg/Philadelphia via Hagerstown. A consequence is that several classes listed here have more members than they did in OTL.

Pacifics (4-6-2)
- 57 E2 Class (#558-#599) [1]

Switchers (0-8-0)
- 45 Class S1a (#200-#244) [2]
- 30 Class S1 (#255 - #284)

Norfolks (4-8-0)
- 125 Class Ms (#375-#499)

Mountains (4-8-2)
- 16 Class K-1 (#100-#115)
- 50 Class K-2 (#116-#165) [3]

Northerns (4-8-4)
- 20 Class Js (#600-#619)

Seaboards (2-6-6-4)
- 48 Class As (#1200 - #1247)

Roanokes (2-8-8-2)
[4]
- 80 Class Y3/Y3a (#2000-2079)
- 20 Class Y4 (#2080-#2099)
- 20 Class Y5 (#2100-#2119)
- 52 Class Y6/Y6a (#2120-#2171)
- 30 Class Y6b (#2171-#2200)
- 30 Class Y7 (#2201-#2230) [5]

[1] These Pacifics were mainly used on the Cincinnati to St. Louis mainline on local passenger trains in the final years of steam.
[2] Unlike OTL, these were not the last steam locomotives built, being built in 1942 from the C&O designed S1s.
[3] These are the mountains that had some examples rebuilt to resemble the J Class "Lady Jane" 4-8-4s. These K-2s spent most of their later lives on the secondary services from Roanoke to Hagerstown, Maryland and Winston-Salem, North Carolina or from Lynchburg to Wilmington, North Carolina. In TTL, one of the streamlined examples still exists at the North Carolina Transport Museum as a result.
[4] In TTL, the "Chesapeake" nickname after the B&O was more common for the 2-8-8-2. Leading to the N&W to use this name instead.
[5] These proposed in OTL locomotives were built as fast freight supplements to the A Class.

Chicago & North Western Railway Class O-2a
Builder:
Alco/C&NW 40th Street Shops
Wheel Arrangement: 4-8-8-2 (converted from 2-8-8-2)
Number Built: 5 (CNW 4401-4405)
In Service: 1942-1966, 1979-1984

With its Pacific Extension proving to be a somewhat worthwhile investment, the CNW had quickly seen the benefit of articulated power on its particularly mountainous Oregon Division, purchasing two classes of 2-8-8-0 and 2-8-8-2 (the O-1 and the O-2 respectively) in 1913 and 1925. However, these classes were both true mallets and struggled to keep decent timetables on the flatter parts of the Oregon and Idaho divisions, meaning many trains saw their motive power swapped for doubled headed conventional engines. What the C&NW wanted was a faster articulated locomotive and therefore the 40th Street Shops would deliver a rebuild of the O-2 class. The boiler and firebox were slightly extended and a completely new set of front frames were built. They also decided to go for a 4 wheel leading truck for improved tracking. A total of 5 were rebuilt in such a way, however with WW2 kicking off and cost cutting required, the rest of the class would be cancelled.

Ultimately, they performed well on their intended service and reduced the need for double heading and locomotive changes across the Oregon Division. However, with C&NW borrowing one of the Denver and Rio Grande Western's L-105s and pitting it against an O-2a, the C&NW would realise that ultimately the rather expensive design only really had power going for it with the L-105s proving far more agile and fast than the O-2a while still being able to handle an acceptable level of traffic. The proposed continuation of O-2a rebuilds for 1944 was cancelled with a batch of 20 Challengers similar to the L-105 being ordered from Baldwin as the Class O-3. The O-2as would be used more like their O-2 cousins on drag freight after the 1940s, before eking out their final days on the Wyoming Division as the main motive power for Powder River coal drags.

The first of the class saw replacement in 1965 with the arrival of the first DD35As from EMD and very quickly all five would be withdrawn. Somewhat unsecure in their ability to obtain diesel, particularly for their more fuel hungry units, C&NW would hold all members of the class in reserve at Ontario, Idaho. This would prove to be a wise decision with the crippling fuel crisis from 1979-1986 seeing 4 of the locomotives once again pulled into service. C&NW 4403 would be cut up for spares to keep the other 4 running but the rest would once again reprise their role in the Powder River Basin, proving to be excellent substitutes for some diesel services and were even occasionally loaned to the Burlington Northern. As the crisis eased up through the early 80s, they were once again withdrawn in 1984 but were still held until the worst of the shortages had passed by '86. Somewhat strapped for cash, the C&NW elected to scrap the lot between 1986 and 1990. Luckily, an Idaho based group raised enough to save 4401 and in 1990 she would be bought for scrap value and cosmetically restored. Today she resides at Boise Depot, preserved alongside Union Pacific 2295.

@TheMann which railroads were the first to join Amtrak in 1962 of the Amigoes universe? And when did others join?

I know you mentioned the PRR and B&O joining in 1970 with the ATSF, NYC, Southern, SCL, and Rio Grande being among the last in 1971. But what about other railroads like the SP, L&N, etc?