Meaning interest in a Canal there likely remains
As much as exists in the IRL Nicaraguan Canal - you probably see at least some starts at attempts to build one (perhaps moreso than the IRL Nicaragua Canal), but often abandoned because Nicaragua is already there and therefore more convenient.

This does raise me a few questions - what is the Nicaragua Canal's size limit? Is it larger or smaller than SuezMax, Panamax and NeoPanamax? If it's similar to Panamax this likely necessitates an expansion of the canal around the 21st century like the IRL Panama Canal, and if the Nicaraguan Canal struggles to adapt to the 21st century (as the Panama Canal has even post-expansion) a more modernly built Panama Canal may be able to eclipse it in the 21st century:openedeyewink:

Plus, depending on how climate change goes, shifting weather patterns could ultimately screw one or both canals' potential.

As much as exists in the IRL Nicaraguan Canal - you probably see at least some starts at attempts to build one (perhaps moreso than the IRL Nicaragua Canal), but often abandoned because Nicaragua is already there and therefore more convenient.

This does raise me a few questions - what is the Nicaragua Canal's size limit? Is it larger or smaller than SuezMax, Panamax and NeoPanamax? If it's similar to Panamax this likely necessitates an expansion of the canal around the 21st century like the IRL Panama Canal, and if the Nicaraguan Canal struggles to adapt to the 21st century (as the Panama Canal has even post-expansion) a more modernly built Panama Canal may be able to eclipse it in the 21st century:openedeyewink:

Plus, depending on how climate change goes, shifting weather patterns could ultimately screw one or both canals' potential.
that does assume that the US ittl will be as willing to allow other rich countries to use it. It does appear looking at the likely players post CEW that only the British will have the money and interest in a second canal. the Germans are still the little buddy in Nicaragua, the Italians are focused at Suez, the Russians are more interested in literally anything else on the planet, the Japanese at this point have neither the money nor claims in the Atlantic, the Brazilians have no Pacific claims and if the Mexicans want one, they'll build across Tehuantepec rather than looping south into another country. (Hmm, maybe Spain is in second place to the British in Panama, not sure if they'd preferTehuantepec)

Ugh. Just realized that any situation where the Italians don't get Suez post-CEW is likely to be described as a vittoria mutilata.

That's actually a clever idea on how to get a Panama Canal built lol
My thinking is while not going full "These Fair Shores" or "American System," with China and India industrializing way earlier I'd say climate change is a hair (by a few years) accelerated, even if mitigation such as nuclear energy is pursued much earlier and more broadly. Electric generation is after all just one factor, even if its a major one.
Ugh. Just realized that any situation where the Italians don't get Suez post-CEW is likely to be described as a vittoria mutilata.
A good point. British acquiescence is going to be a big, big factor here (and Suez could be another factor in Italy v. OE down the line, too).
Will they at least attack French Syria l?
The French had no Syrian territory at this point, unless you count their "guardianship" over Mount Lebanon.
I think the first oil strikes in the Persian Gulf OTL were pre-WW1. And people had known there was something down there for a while before that
I believe you're right; D'Arcy struck oil in Abadan sometime around 1909ish I think, which was how APOC became a thing.

Part XII - This is the Way the World Ends

"...and so they stepped gladly out into the abyss, refusing to look at the inky dark beneath them, their hearts yearning for glory as their heads screamed with rage, and into that abyss with them followed the whole of central Europe, a halcyon past vanishing from view as they plunged forward, never to return..."

- 1919: How Europe Went to War

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets".
Voltaire

War has arrived!

Off to war we go we will be home by Christmas for sure those weak French/Germans will be sure to collapse before our might
Clearly the Europeans will fight "A clean and noble war, fought with honor. Like how Gentlemen should fight...."

".....unlike those vagrant barbarians in the Americas. "

"...and so they stepped gladly out into the abyss, refusing to look at the inky dark beneath them, their hearts yearning for glory as their heads screamed with rage, and into that abyss with them followed the whole of central Europe, a halcyon past vanishing from view as they plunged forward, never to return..."

Amazing start! Can't wait For it

Clearly the Europeans will fight "A clean and noble war, fought with honor. Like how Gentlemen should fight...."

".....unlike those vagrant barbarians in the Americas. "
In some ways they will. At least at the beginning.
For example no proper noble officer is going to lie down in the mud, just because some shells and bullets are flying around. They are going to stand straight and proud a gallant figure of.....
babylon5-b5.gif

Chills :)

And so it begins...

Randy

What was the spark that kicked off everything again?

What was the spark that kicked off everything again?
Stephane Clement murdering Prince Franz of Bavaria at a Vienna ball after Belgium joined the Iron Triangle and acted like a little shit in escalating European tensions at a time when Austria-Hungary's stability and future is very much in question, giving France anxiety as to their and Austria's ability to act as a counterbalance to Germany and Italy, when France is falling behind Germany overall demographically and economically (likely not per capita) and wants to keep the position of supposed European top dog (and also to ward of the Radicals, SFIO and URS domestically and keep the right in power via jingoistic nationalism).

After Stephane's actions I'm sorta surprised that the war isn't declared until early 1919. I know no one wants to fight in the middle of winter but this feels like a crisis that wouldn't stretch out over six-ish months.

After Stephane's actions I'm sorta surprised that the war isn't declared until early 1919. I know no one wants to fight in the middle of winter but this feels like a crisis that wouldn't stretch out over six-ish months.
Maybe his trial stretches over the six-ish months, Steffie gets off on a technicality, and that's the spark?