Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

fascinating, I am really interest on the developments on the Americas here specially when it seems like there not going to be a United States given that Sweden and the Netherlands retain their colonies, also Interested in how Russia would fare here given that Poland don't seem like the disaster that allow its neighbors split it without their government being able to do anything (cough*liber veto*cough)

Chapter 136: Early Days of the Era of Nobuie

Chapter 136: Early Days of the Era of Nobuie

By the time Nobuie succeeded his father as the dual chancellor and commander-in-chief of the Japanese realm, the top position had lost considerable power since the days of Nobutomo and Nobutsugu. Although those two individuals had governed the realm with the consultation and backing of the Sangi-shu, the imperial court, and the regional daimyo clans, they had generally done as they pleased for the most part, their talent and prestige overcoming symbolic checks on their power. Under Nobuhiro, however, the Sangi-shu and the Shinka-in to a lesser extent had become the main centers of governance, with Nobuhiro having presided over meetings less frequently than any of his predecessors. Additionally, the position of inspector-general had regained prestige and power not seen since the days of Saito Yoshioki through the appointment of Oda clan member Kudo Kanefuyu, with the latter having been a sort of chief of staff to the daijo-daijin. Finally, Japan had not been involved in major military campaigns since the Asiatic Northern War, diminishing the importance of Japan’s military ever since. Although Nobuie would evidently not be a mere figurehead as the new daijo-daijin, he could not also reverse nearly 50 years of history and precedent. Therefore, he would take a different approach in reconsolidating power around the position of daijo-daijin once again.

One of the first things he did was to recall Tsuda Takeakira from his Kanazawa magistracy, making him the new inspector-general. In this way, he was able to install his right hand man to the most significant office in the Azuchi bureaucracy. Nobuie would also begin to preside over Sangi-shu meetings more frequently but notably preserved its independence by not doing so every time and continuing to give a degree of deference to the institution. Instead, he would rely on his old allies in the body to maintain control over the Sangi-shu’s discussions and proceedings. Musashino Toshikatsu and Kakizaki Norihiro would be early leaders of what would be known as the Daijo-ha (太政派), essentially the pro-Nobuie faction in the Sangi-shu and Shinka-in. These decisions would slowly gather together a core group of Nobuie loyalists, many of whom were from traditionally less prominent clans and statuses, that would help steer his administration. In this way, Nobuie was able to centralize power without upsetting the established political order within the first few years.​

PhqnuBXRKvi-P0HHfYqatQ_CPC-WRf4UMOOv92AMPuY2gZtnp8jD96zYCDT6ItalKOnILfzWoX-t60TDYWJyMhlcMCBXrmBQNxTkorLjZfMotjY0qIt4D6peuuG8Kp41LwH0DNq4ohH4FAGlCMjvnzU

Portrait of Tsuda Takeakira​

This can also be seen with how he handled the old Kanbe faction within the government. When Miyoshi Yasutsugu died in 1699, a seat on the Sangi-shu reserved for Oda clan members opened up with Kanbe Tomozane’s son Yoshihiro emerging as Yasutsugu’s replacement. This risked reviving the faction’s power within the government especially as Yoshihiro played a significant role in handling his father’s role whenever Tomozane was absent from Azuchi for important meetings. Rather than denying Yoshihiro an appointment to the Sangi-shu, however, Nobuie would neuter the former’s power. In return for being appointed to the body, the childless Yoshihiro would be forced to designate Kitabatake Nagakiyo (北畠長清) as the heir to the Kanbe clan, the latter changing his name to Kanbe Yoshikiyo (神戸吉清). This way, the clan and the governorship of Luson would be vested in the hands of a less threatening individual upon Yoshihiro’s eventual death, and this would even reduce Yoshihiro’s power and influence in the present, preventing a resurgence of his old faction.

With everything set the way he wanted, Nobuie proceeded to freely advance his own policies. He was finally able to greenlight a Japanese claim over the entirety of Karafuto, tasking Chinjufu shogun Nanbu Yukinobu with subduing the independent Nivkh and other tribes on the northern end of the island. Gathering several thousand men from his own retinue and those of other Oshu lords, Yukinobu sailed to Oodomari in 1700. He first requested renewed tribute from the natives of southern Karafuto before advancing contingents of his men into the north, slowly making contact with the northern tribes. Many of them, either already trading with the Japanese or fearing the technological superiority of Yukinobu’s army, peacefully submitted to the chinjufu shogun and offered tribute without resistance. Those who resisted would be dealt with, most of the island coming under Azuchi by the end of the decade. This process was briefly delayed with Yukinobu’s death in 1702, although his younger brother Katsunobu (南部勝信) would take over and continue the effort. In addition to the gradual subjugation of the entirety of Karafuto island, Nobuie would continue policies towards increasing Japanese presence in the Ezo Sea and the far northern frontier in general.

Nobuie would also embark upon a series of military reforms especially focused on the state of the shogunal armies. Having largely not seen action for the past 30 years, the Japanese army had remained largely stagnant, especially the infantry. Knowledge from overseas had informed scholars of the advancements and changes in militaries across the world, leading many in the government including Nobuie himself to fear that Japan would begin to fall behind in a consequential manner. This led to the Genroku Army Reforms (元禄の陸軍改革) of the early 1700s. Organizationally, Nobuie would simplify the pre-existing shogunal structure to north, south, east, and west. The new northern shogun (征北大将軍) was essentially the old chinjufu shogun but with confirmed authority over Ezo, Karafuto, and the Ezo Sea. Meanwhile, the new southern shogun’s authority (征南大将軍) extended over Bireito and Luson provinces. Other reforms mainly focused on modernizing the infantry’s tactics and outfits. Plug bayonets would begin to be formally adopted as an alternative to the system of interspersed ranks of yari-wielding men amongst musketeer formations, though they required additional training.

The biggest change was the changeover in battle attire. With gunpowder weapons now dominant in samurai armies, armor became less necessary and was even viewed as a mobility hindrance for infantrymen. Thus, after months of research and brainstorming, Azuchi issued a new standard uniform for the infantry of the shogunal armies. Gone was the old ashigaru style of armor, which had become lighter throughout the 17th century already, except for the suneate (臑当) greaves, kote (籠手) vambrances, and tekko (手甲) gauntlets. Musketeers instead would mainly wear kosode and hakama (袴) while retaining the ashigaru-style jingasa hat. Additionally, infantry officers would also wear a different variation of jingasa hat. Yari-wielding infantry, however, would largely retain their old armor and continue to exist among the musketeer ranks although in ever-decreasing ratios and numbers. Cavalry, meanwhile, would not be affected due to their status as higher-ranking samurai retainers and the fact that many of them owned and wore their own unique armor sets. They would continue to be an evolving version of the type of samurai cavalry defined by the late Sakuma Moritora.​

F9IqZOyfIDEItb-jI9QRga8ybbyHYwMVgE1bvdGyrQnr2Nkz3OFyeOm7yn5pz3tt6nBExzJ864epmOXyge7JG7XPJTyrWfwLTuOyq-LoFyti3we0BGWPdpxELMJVIDT5ZYU4IsbhJ-xNXllmtXDz5NQ

New outfit of the Japanese shogunal musketeer (not exact but closest thing I could get)

Vz6QKfoxy7VULqxSKTGpyzT_jN4o3QHnNCMQRxFHNxm8EgchnFfGcuMNU8XVBgdc3a7-qvLpW_Dt2A8b3Hml2Lqib1lk-t9PeBo-PGVVXeM6w4MHT753KizSsXPn0Ya_9BRS8XwXQ1PzEl1qW5t6J6U

Jingasa worn by infantry officers under the Genroku reforms​

Although Nobuie’s own military pursuits contributed to the enactment of the Genroku reforms, events abroad also influenced the daijo-daijin’s decision to reform the army as soon as possible. While Japan continued to enjoy a period of peace and stability, the extinction of the Spanish Habsburg line with the death of Charles II in 1700 plunged Europe into crisis and war. On one side was the Franco-Spanish alliance, led by Louis XIV and supportive of his grandson Philip of Anjou’s enthronement as the new Spanish king. The other side backed the claim of the Holy Roman Emperor’s brother Charles and consisted of England/Scotland, the Netherlands, and much of the Holy Roman Empire with the exception of pro-French archbishoprics, Bavaria, and neutral Brandenburg-Prussia [1]. This dispute would break out into what would be known as the Bourbon Wars [2], a series of interconnected conflicts across different parts of the world that constituted the first widely recognized world war. While the main European theater would be referred to as the War of the Spanish Succession, the North American theater would be called the First Intercolonial War [3] with overlapping Anglo-French claims and Dutch interests bringing war there.

Meanwhile, an unrelated succession crisis in Lan Xang after the death of king Sourigna Vongsa in 1694 eventually attracted the attention of Siam and Dai Viets as different claimants sought the assistance of both states. When the pro-Siamese prince Kitsarat, based from the northern city of Luang Prabang, launched an invasion against the new king Ong Lo, who happened to be backed by Dai Viet, the latter would request Dutch support in this Indochinese conflict [4]. This in turn triggered French intervention on Siam’s side, the situation quickly spiraling into a greater colonial conflict throughout Southeast Asia that would be known as the East Indies War. Things quickly stacked up against the Franco-Siamese when the English and Portuguese joined the Dutch, the latter having switched sides in the wider war after an Anglo-Dutch naval victory at Vigo Bay. The anti-Bourbon side, holding naval supremacy outside of Siamese waters, would begin to make preparations for an amphibious takeover of Manila and the Spanish Philippines. In this dire situation, France would send letters and messengers requesting support against the enemy coalition to various countries. To ensure total victory, the VOC would similarly send out letters and messengers, although mostly for the purpose of foiling French efforts. Both of them, however, had one particular country on their mind.

Within the span of one week in late September, Oda Nobuie would receive notice of the requests of both the French and Dutch in regards to the ongoing conflict between the Bourbons and anti-Bourbons. His decision was about to determine the course of not only Asia but the globe.

[1]: Brandenburg-Prussia will not participate in this war.

[2]: TTL’s name for what we know as the War of the Spanish Succession, although the latter term is used for the broader European theater.

[3]: TTL's name of Queen Anne's War across the board, also the French name for OTL's King William's War.

[4]: The Siamese get involved sooner due to pre-existing rivalries with Dai Viet that are much stronger than ITTL.​

Last edited:
Good chapter, regardless of who Japan chooses, hopefully it'll be one that further cements their influence in Asia, so taking over Java and having it under a Sultan pliable to their interests wouldn't be a bad idea for instance.

Also, with no England to participate and no Prussia either, hope that France will be more successful ITTL and manage to at least conquer the Spanish Netherlands alongside putting the Bourbons on the Spanish throne.

Thank you very much for the new chapter! And if I may express my opinion: Japan should try to expand its colonies to Luzon. However, my preference would be for this to happen as part of an agreement of voluntary surrender by the Bourbons in exchange for an alliance. This would, on the one hand, be consistent with the rather pro-French sentiment at the Azuchi court, and on the other hand, it would seem to me the best way to minimize European influence in the Far East.

Mmmm, Great Chapter. Give me more of that Japanese political and military development. I eat that up.
@Ambassador Huntsman ! Amazing work as always! Love to see Japan develop and the political landescape! Wish Nobuie the best
Man this was an amazing chapter, expansion into Karafuto, military development, it goes on. Excited to see where Japan expands to next!
Great chapter! I wonder just what side Japan is going to choose between the Dutch and the French.
Thank you!!
Oh no, not Levy Infantry…
Shogunal infantry has been levy-based for a while, although samurai still monopolize the cavalry, artillery, and yari infantry as well as the officer corps.
Good chapter, regardless of who Japan chooses, hopefully it'll be one that further cements their influence in Asia, so taking over Java and having it under a Sultan pliable to their interests wouldn't be a bad idea for instance.

Also, with no England to participate and no Prussia either, hope that France will be more successful ITTL and manage to at least conquer the Spanish Netherlands alongside putting the Bourbons on the Spanish throne.
England is a participant, although less coordination without an Anglo-Dutch monarch (James II/James VII of England & Scotland, William III of Orange).
Thank you very much for the new chapter! And if I may express my opinion: Japan should try to expand its colonies to Luzon. However, my preference would be for this to happen as part of an agreement of voluntary surrender by the Bourbons in exchange for an alliance. This would, on the one hand, be consistent with the rather pro-French sentiment at the Azuchi court, and on the other hand, it would seem to me the best way to minimize European influence in the Far East.
Tbh Azuchi isn't particularly swayed towards the Dutch and French, though some clans do strongly prefer over the other. It is true that there is a stronger affinity with French aristocracy but the Dutch are still the biggest European trading partner for the Japanese. Not to mention issues of the Spanish and Catholicism. The next chapter will go over the drama and deliberations towards the pivotal decision.

Thank you!!
Np
Tbh Azuchi isn't particularly swayed towards the Dutch and French, though some clans do strongly prefer over the other. It is true that there is a stronger affinity with French aristocracy but the Dutch are still the biggest European trading partner for the Japanese. Not to mention issues of the Spanish and Catholicism. The next chapter will go over the drama and deliberations towards the pivotal decision.
Can't wait, hope that they pick the dutch.

Oh, I can't wait. This is going to be really interesting. Good luck writing the next chapter quickly!

Within the span of one week in late September, Oda Nobuie would receive notice of the requests of both the French and Dutch in regards to the ongoing conflict between the Bourbons and anti-Bourbons. His decision was about to determine the course of not only Asia but the globe.
Now that is interesting. With how the Japanese army is revamped, I am sure that they will somewhat prepared for the war of the Spanish succession. I'm just curious on how things go, since Japan could very much be bribed with Manila by France, but it means they have to fight the Dutch, while fighting the French and Spanish would be relatively a hard task too.

The wars around the region is often quite messy though, and Japan may be allies and enemies of both sides of the conflict when it suits them. While Japan may not be able to directly affect the European theatre there's a lot such a nation could do.

On the rest of the weapons I'm a bit concerned that Japan is only using plug bayonets even though it seems to be the more reliable option compared to socket bayonets. I think they'd quickly have to switch to socket bayonets with the problems that the usage of yarn and plug bayonets have.
That will be very interesting indeed, with how the different states means different things for Azuchi, but I am pretty sure that no matter what the Japanese do their effects on SEA would be felt by everyone equally in Europe. Which is why I think the Dutch would fight the Japanese: it'd just cause more problems for everyone.
Shogunal infantry has been levy-based for a while, although samurai still monopolize the cavalry, artillery, and yari infantry as well as the officer corps.
I do wonder would we see a more professional army after this as a levy-based army wouldn't be the most effective in oceanic warfare.

World War I in the XVIII century! things are going to be very interesting from now on I want japan to side with France I think Indonesia would be more interesting than the Philippines and also a victorius Louis XIV would surely mean intersting things in Europe

Last edited:
Shogun 2 meme - Levy Infantry are the weakest gunpowder unit in the game and easily routed.
On the rest of the weapons I'm a bit concerned that Japan is only using plug bayonets even though it seems to be the more reliable option compared to socket bayonets. I think they'd quickly have to switch to socket bayonets with the problems that the usage of yarn and plug bayonets have.

I do wonder would we see a more professional army after this as a levy-based army wouldn't be the most effective in oceanic warfare.
A thought occurred to me: With the increasing use of Levy infantry and if a professional army forms, I wondering if a proto/pseudo-Banzai charge can form out of wave attacks
World War I in the XVIII century!
It can’t be a World War yet; Australia hasn’t been discovered yet /j

Last edited:
A thought occurred to me: With the increasing use of Levy infantry, I wondering if a proto-Banzai charge can form out of wave attacks

It's been figthing in Europe, North America, SE Asia and possibly the Atlantic, Africa and India is a World War

World War I in the XVIII century! things are going to be very interesting from now on I want japan to side with France I think Indonesia would be more interesting than the Philippines
Tbf some ppl say the seven years war is the first world war, but with Japan being a major player it automatically means wars in Europe would allow Japan opportunities that it can use against their European competitors.

On the Philippines I can see France strong arming Spain to give Manila to Japan. It is a small price for victory in the east indies after all.
A thought occurred to me: With the increasing use of Levy infantry, I wondering if a proto-Banzai charge can form out of wave attacks
A Japanese Sulawesi and Borneo would be interesting, after all Sulawesi is close to the Philippines and Borneo would have a lot of Chinese and spices that Japan could trade in.
Nah 17th century maps show the outline of northern Australia, the Dutch just weren't colonising it as there was nothing of note there.

If anything Japan could have a few outposts for catching sea cucumbers that could develop into an actual colony.

It's been figthing in Europe, North America, SE Asia and possibly the Atlantic, Africa and India is a World War
But not Oceania. Where’s my Pacific front? /j
Nah 17th century maps show the outline of northern Australia, the Dutch just weren't colonising it as there was nothing of note there.

If anything Japan could have a few outposts for catching sea cucumbers that could develop into an actual colony.
True. I’ve should’ve said Colonized.

But in all seriousness, most of Australia is pretty barren besides the coastline. So further inland colonization is a bit off the table at the moment…

Though, the idea of Samurai fighting emus….

Tbf some ppl say the seven years war is the first world war, but with Japan being a major player it automatically means wars in Europe would allow Japan opportunities that it can use against their European competitors.

I know this is a bit of a stretch given their current situations, but if Korea and/or China can get involved in these global wars, then it's a party

Last edited: