In Achaemenid Egypt a rebellion began under the command of Inaros, a Libyan king living on the border of Egypt. This rebellion quickly swept the country, which was soon largely in the hands of Inaros. He requested assistance from Athens which was granted. The alliance defeated the Persianw at the Battle of Papremis (460 BC). The remnants of defeated Persian force retreated to Memphis. So the alliance began to the Siege of Memphis (459–455 BCE) which was lifted by a Persian relief force which defeated the alliance. Then ended the Egyptian expedition of Athens. But What if the alliance captured Memphis and defeated the Persian relief force thereby securing Egypt. Using Egyptian assistance Athens defeats Sparta in the First Peloponnesian War and dissolves the Peloponnesian League while installing a puppet regime in Sparta. Later Athens along with Egypt convinces Satraps in Anatolia and Levant to rebel. This coalition defeats Persia and dissolves it's Empire.

In Achaemenid Egypt a rebellion began under the command of Inaros, a Libyan king living on the border of Egypt. This rebellion quickly swept the country, which was soon largely in the hands of Inaros. He requested assistance from Athens which was granted. The alliance defeated the Persianw at the Battle of Papremis (460 BC). The remnants of defeated Persian force retreated to Memphis. So the alliance began to the Siege of Memphis (459–455 BCE) which was lifted by a Persian relief force which defeated the alliance. Then ended the Egyptian expedition of Athens. But What if the alliance captured Memphis and defeated the Persian relief force thereby securing Egypt. Using Egyptian assistance Athens defeats Sparta in the First Peloponnesian War and dissolves the Peloponnesian League while installing a puppet regime in Sparta. Later Athens along with Egypt convinces Satraps in Anatolia and Levant to rebel. This coalition defeats Persia and dissolves it's Empire.
no Mazdakism for one. Also less freedom.

But What if the alliance captured Memphis and defeated the Persian relief force thereby securing Egypt. Using Egyptian assistance Athens defeats Sparta in the First Peloponnesian War and dissolves the Peloponnesian League while installing a puppet regime in Sparta.
Unsurpisingly, Persia helps Sparta and grabs back Egypt. Why wouldn't they?

Athens wouldn't be able to maintain control over Egypt, it's way too inland for their navy, they don't have a particularly good land army and they already had troubles with the Delos League OTL, now add Persia trying to reconquer Egypt on top of fighting Sparta and Athens' best choice is simply giving up on Egypt. Them managing to hold Egypt is already ASB.
A better choice for the Athenians would be getting Cyprus in exchange for ending support to Egypt.

Last edited:
Persia already supported Sparta against Athens
If the Achaemenids had to try reconquering Egypt, which is by no means a granted thing, then Sparta's support would be severely weakened and Athens would do far better against them so long they focus in winning the war for Grece and not trying to secure Egypt, allowing it to fight for its independence instead after beating the persians

Persia already supported Sparta against Athens
If the Achaemenids had to try reconquering Egypt, which is by no means a granted thing, then Sparta's support would be severely weakened and Athens would do far better against them so long they focus in winning the war for Grece and not trying to secure Egypt, allowing it to fight for its independence instead after beating the persians
I doubt the defeat would be particularly harrowing for the Achaemenid Empire, or Egypt able to regain such strength in a couple decades max. I would also expect, out of necessity, more resistance to Athens both in Greece and from the Empire itself.

I doubt the defeat would be particularly harrowing for the Achaemenid Empire, or Egypt able to regain such strength in a couple decades max
It would be a minor annoyance at very least and thats enough to distract them from Greece for the time being in my opinion
I would also expect, out of necessity, more resistance to Athens both in Greece and from the Empire itself
I'd agree with you but thats just OTL, the rest of Greece(that wasnt aligned with Athens that is) was already pushing as hard they could to resist them, so the athenians would still be performing considerably better here

Enough to beat the Achaemenids for good? Create a unified Greek Empire? Probably not

But it's still a leg up from what happened IOTL and if they're lucky they'd be able to crush Sparta before a unamused Persia turns it's attention back to Greece after putting Egypt down again

Athens wouldn't be able to maintain control over Egypt, it's way too inland for their navy, they don't have a particularly good land army and they already had troubles with the Delos League OTL, now add Persia trying to reconquer Egypt on top of fighting Sparta and Athens' best choice is simply giving up on Egypt. Them managing to hold Egypt is already ASB.
A better choice for the Athenians would be getting Cyprus in exchange for ending support to Egypt.
Again you don't know what you're talking about and trying to misrepresent me. OP is about an independent Egypt in alliance with Athens and OTL Egypt did become independent while Persia failed reconquer it for a long time

I doubt the defeat would be particularly harrowing for the Achaemenid Empire, or Egypt able to regain such strength in a couple decades max. I would also expect, out of necessity, more resistance to Athens both in Greece and from the Empire itself.
It will be particularly harrowing for the Achaemenid Empire because Egypt was among it's most richest provinces

Again you don't know what you're talking about and trying to misrepresent me. OP is about an independent Egypt in alliance with Athens and OTL Egypt did become independent while Persia failed reconquer it for a long time
Egypt once it got its independence wouldn't be particularly involved with Athens, they can participate in the anti-Persian wars but they won't really help it with Sparta.

Egypt once it got its independence wouldn't be particularly involved with Athens, they can participate in the anti-Persian wars but they won't really help it with Sparta.
Doesn't make any sense throw out their only ally just to stand alone against the only great power in the world. OTL regions freed by Athens remained allied to it. Egypt before it's conquest by Persia sought out allies among the Greeks. Anyway you don't care about OTL which conflate with your TL.

Doesn't make any sense throw out their only ally just to stand alone against the only great power in the world. OTL regions freed by Athens remained allied to it. Egypt before it's conquest by Persia sought out allies among the Greeks. Anyway you don't care about OTL which conflate with your TL.
No they weren't allies, the places freed by the Athenians were in the League of Delos, but they constantly rebelled against Athens because they were exploited.
Tell me what does Egypt send to Athens that will completely turn the tide of the war? And why would Egypt care about Athens in a war with Sparta while the Persians are right on its border? I'm not saying they won't give any support but it won't be decisive in turning the tide of the Peloponnesian war.

Tell me what does Egypt send to Athens that will completely turn the tide of the war?
Do you even care to read OP before making assumptions. Athenian assistance allowed the Egyptians to defeat the Persian relief force at the Battle of Papremis (460 BC).
And why would Egypt care about Athens in a war with Sparta while the Persians are right on its border?
Because Sparta is an ally of Persia and them defeating Athens which puts Egypt in danger.
I'm not saying they won't give any support but it won't be decisive in turning the tide of the Peloponnesian war.
Economic assistance is more than enough. Remeber Egypt was still richest region in the Mediterranean.

Do you even care to read OP before making assumptions. Athenian assistance allowed the Egyptians to defeat the Persian relief force at the Battle of Papremis (460 BC).
Did you even read my post? I asked you what Egypt sends to Athens that will turn the tide of the Peloponnesian war.
Because Sparta is an ally of Persia and them defeating Athens which puts Egypt in danger.
But sending all of your resources to Athens means that you don't have resources to defend yourself from Persia, who will likely try to use the fact that Athens is distracted.
Economic assistance is more than enough. Remeber Egypt was still richest region in the Mediterranean.
Obviously it will be able to send more than the largest empire ever seen up to that point and I'm not sure how much they can send if Persia invading them is a real possibility, let alone if it happens.

Did you even read my post? I asked you what Egypt sends to Athens that will turn the tide of the Peloponnesian war.
Privileged trade with it's ally Egypt will enrich Athens
But sending all of your resources to Athens means that you don't have resources to defend yourself from Persia, who will likely try to use the fact that Athens is distracted.
All resources obviously not necessary
Obviously it will be able to send more than the largest empire ever seen up to that point and I'm not sure how much they can send if Persia invading them is a real possibility, let alone if it happens.
Persia's resources were be divided across it's Empire unlike Egypt

Privileged trade with it's ally Egypt will enrich Athens
During a war?
All resources obviously not necessary
To decisively help Athens you need to send soldiers, all of the rest won't be able to turn the tide but these soldiers if sent in large enough quantities to help decisively Athens will be needed at home.
Persia's resources were be divided across it's Empire unlike Egypt
Unlike Egypt Persia is a massive empire who even in its last days could number up armies of hundred of thousands of men, Egypt cannot.

During a war?
Athens had naval supremacy so it did keep trade flowing
To decisively help Athens you need to send soldiers, all of the rest won't be able to turn the tide but these soldiers if sent in large enough quantities to help decisively Athens will be needed at home.
Wealth from trade with Egypt can be used to raise larger armies
Unlike Egypt Persia is a massive empire who even in its last days could number up armies of hundred of thousands of men, Egypt cannot.
Yet still failed to reconquer Egypt for decades

Athens had naval supremacy so it did keep trade flowing
They can't trade that much, they're busy fighting and importing, everything outside of Athens is occupied so almost every resource needed to produce isn't there unless you import it but that costs a lot and you're still importing food and fighting a war.
Wealth from trade with Egypt can be used to raise larger armies
Assuming they can recruit more, the problem is still that the Spartan (and allied) army is still superior by far, but these armies also have costs to train and maintain.
Yet still failed to reconquer Egypt for decades
That doesn't mean it can't try to.