AHC: 10 million members of AlternateHistory.com by 2010

By 2010? Not chances unless you manage to make the genre more popular and AH.com being founded earlier.

AH.com founders bribe an African warlord to forge a brutal repressive dictatorship where the only website citizens can access is AlteranteHistory.com

1. Ian bans someone who gets so pissed off he devotes his entire life to successfully creating 10 million sock puppet accounts without getting any of them banned.

2. Ian turns to website into a alt history book store, which then becomes a app/subcription service for all history related movie/entertainment content.

I know a guy who would be willing to have 10 million registered accounts that are officially American for no reason at all.

Mother Russia stands as the beacon of strength and resilience, guiding her people through the storms of adversity. Together, we forge a future steeped in unity, prosperity, and the unwavering spirit of our great nation. #RussiaStrong #Unity #Prosperity

360_F_348271748_crlTfuQBtofZAkju1jMNjj0u3SDiEwvg.jpg

Since it has around 100k members today, very unlikely you have to make alternate history (and potentially history in general) much more popular and much earlier.

The Admins look at their server capacity.
The Admins then look at the other direction, at a piece of suspended rope.
"Today, old friend" they say

Good thing I'm not an admin of anything, imagine having to make your sure your site doesn't collapse into a pile of burning server equipment at the idea of ten million accessing it. Even a million is probably nightmare-inducing.

Good thing I'm not an admin of anything, imagine having to make your sure your site doesn't collapse into a pile of burning server equipment at the idea of ten million accessing it. Even a million is probably nightmare-inducing.
Now imagine having to fund the illustrious lifestyle of an African dictator to artificially increase the member count of an alternate history website.

If I were Ian I wouldn't even be mad, I'd be impressed
Reminds me of a forum I participate, there was this one guy who was so impressively insistent, with alts and even getting the profile of someone who decided to stop there and gave it to him, that at some point they just let him come back. At some point, they literally IP Banned The Entire Country of Pakistan. Didn't even slow him down.

Reminds me of a forum I participate, there was this one guy who was so impressively insistent, with alts and even getting the profile of someone who decided to stop there and gave it to him, that at some point they just let him come back. At some point, they literally IP Banned The Entire Country of Pakistan. Didn't even slow him down.

I mod in another where we had a equally hard-up guy about ten years ago. At some point we basically banned all IPs in Puerto Rico to get rid of him. That didn't really stop him but eventually he got tired of evading bans and left the site.

The Admins look at their server capacity.
The Admins then look at the other direction, at a piece of suspended rope.
"Today, old friend" they say

They could afford help if they charged [1]: $10 for a warning, $100 for a kick and $1,000 for a ban.
That's a potential $10billion just from banning the sock puppets!

[1] Our team of economists and lawyers are refining the practicalities as we speak.....

Never underestimate the power of spite

The secret is living in Kashmir so you can't get IP Banned without an International Incident starting with India.

I think you'll find this solution to be plausible, since you don't mention how active they are. Because there was some Monumental growth that alternate history just needs to be tied to.

The concept of alternate history takes hold in the Proto internet of the lady teen hundreds when so many people were sending telegrams back and forth. Charles Dickens happens to pen a short story about luddites and trying to prevent the Industrial Revolution through an alternate history of what could have happened. Sherlock Holmes has one of his Mysteries then be about a time traveling Moriarty. Well these don't do great, but they do find a niche audience and people in Britain are chattering about it on that Telegraph system.

Alternate history is used in the first half of the 20th century by the British to basically talk about different kings and queens of Britain and sometimes of other European countries. It is an interest which catches the eye of some of the people at Bletchley park. When the British decide not to allow their computer work to become public knowledge due to security concerns, these people migrate to the United States.

Discussion of alternate history takes place between American and British computer enthusiasts throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Alternatehistory.com is said to be set up on the first FreeNets in the late 1980s, though it consists of the Usenet news groups at this point. Because the concept has gained popularity, there are many people who are interested in it and many others who subscribe to different alternate history fanzines.

When AOL starts sending their trial discs out in the early 1990s, someone in the business seized that alternate history is a big interest of people who also enjoy computers and decides that they will make a part of the AOL system the burgeoning alternate history group. As the number of AOL subscribers grows throughout the 1990s, a good number of those subscribers wind up getting into the alternate history site through AOL in their households.

As AOL declines and the internet takes over, alternatehistory.com is one of the first websites founded. The names of those who joined because of the AOL phenomenon are added as members in name even if they do not technically participate in the website because it is easier to just add them in then to send a mass email to millions of people because it's not as easy to send all those emails at once in the late 1990s.

By 2010 it should be fairly easy to have 10 million members, though most of them do not participate or even remember they were added.

The server would probably be getting kind of jammed at that point, though, so on January 1st, 2011, Ian sends out an email (it's now easier to send a mass email to all members) asking that anyone who wishes to continue participating in the program login and otherwise they will be dumped. The mass dumping of several million inactive email addresses occurs during the month of January in 2011.

Edit: wow, I just realized how old some of the people would be who don't even have memory of the mass AOL trial discs! I'm probably sharing history that some current members don't even realize happened!

Last edited:

Sekhmet_D

Kicked
Unbelievable. Back in my day, when you got banned from a forum, you left for good and found something else to do. Makes me wonder what the hell it is about both this site and your other site that makes people so damn hard up to stay.