A Few Acres of Snow: A Map and Graphic Timeline

Map of South America
Give Rio Grande do Sul back to Brazil 😥😥

Apologies for this next map in that case!

AFAoS banner.png

dfwop5h-7f7fd28c-2167-433f-9261-a1fdf335b473.png

Awesome map, I was looking forward to seeing a more in-depth look at South America. Curious as to why German is an official language in Araucania. I know there was German immigration to that region IOTL, but I'm wondering why an Indigenous state would willingly invite in European settlers.

Awesome map, I was looking forward to seeing a more in-depth look at South America. Curious as to why German is an official language in Araucania. I know there was German immigration to that region IOTL, but I'm wondering why an Indigenous state would willingly invite in European settlers.
The post-1848 German settlement in southern Chile actually predates the rise in Mapuche/Chilean tensions in the 1860s (and abortive movement to form the Kingdom of Araucania) that led to the Chilean occupation of Araucania. ITTL the Germans sided with the Mapuche and supported Orelie-Antoine de Tounens' Kingdom of Araucania, hence why the area around Valdivia is part of it (and it was true in OTL that, at least in the early stages of German settlement, the Germans and Mapuche got along better with each other than either did with the Hispanophone Chileans).

Last edited:
Excellent new map!

Just curious, have you considered giving certain nations/regions significantly higher or lower populations than IOTL?
Yes, Canada has like 30 million more people than the equivalent area in OTL, Florida iirc has a couple million less and California will also have less. As for this South America map, Patagonia's population is doubled from OTL (and still very sparse so maybe it could go even higher), and while I didn't do it in those figures I strongly considered transferring 10-15 million people from Brazil to Federal League (and reserve the right to make that retcon in the future).

What's the story with Surinam? Because this map's crown realm (Kroon domein??*) suggests a monarchical tradition in the Netherlands, but your earlier map of the North American possessions, the United Provinces suggest a republican tradition in the Netherlands.

*Kroonrijk is not Dutch, looks more like a bad google translation.

What's the story with Surinam? Because this map's crown realm (Kroon domein??*) suggests a monarchical tradition in the Netherlands, but your earlier map of the North American possessions, the United Provinces suggest a republican tradition in the Netherlands.

*Kroonrijk is not Dutch, looks more like a bad google translation.

United Provinces got its independence in 1795, Suriname got its independence almost 200 years later, as in OTL the politics of the Netherlands changed significantly in that time. My intention was for Suriname to be something like a British-style dominion and to have "crown realm" be an equivalent term in Dutch, though I don't speak Dutch at all so I admit that it may well be completely inaccurate.

United Provinces got its independence in 1795, Suriname got its independence almost 200 years later, as in OTL the politics of the Netherlands changed significantly in that time. My intention was for Suriname to be something like a British-style dominion and to have "crown realm" be an equivalent term in Dutch, though I don't speak Dutch at all so I admit that it may well be completely inaccurate.
If you think i'm going too far in my questions, please say it, then i shall let it rest immediately. I think you did a wonderful job and i don't want to spoil your pleasure in making things like this, which i just enjoy watching it unfold.
I had thought it would be something like what you said. So like in OTL The old republic got overrun by the French revolutionaries and Napoleon put his brother Louis in the position of King of Holland, but from your other wikibox i gather that the Napoleonic regime didn't collapse as it did in OTL and that Louis even succeeds his brother eventually. So what does that mean for the Netherlands? Was it still annexed at a point? I can't actually see the Oranjes restored, as they were too much aligned with GB to be acceptable in such a position.

BTW: There isn't an equivalent word for Dominion in Dutch, because we never really had political constructions like that until very recent. The closest we have is the situation of Aruba,Curacao and Sint Maarten . All three islands are officially Koninkrijk der Nederlanden (status aparte)*
We just use the English term when we describe the countries of the commonwealth(Gemenebest).

*Which would be Koninkrijk Holland in a Napoleonic setting.

The post-1848 German settlement in southern Chile actually predates the rise in Mapuche/Chilean tensions in the 1860s (and abortive movement to form the Kingdom of Araucania) that led to the Chilean occupation of Araucania. ITTL the Germans sided with the Mapuche and supported Orelie-Antoine de Tounens' Kingdom of Araucania, hence why the area around Valdivia is part of it (and it was true in OTL that, at least in the early stages of German settlement, the Germans and Mapuche got along better with each other than either did with the Hispanophone Chileans).
when I look at the Germans in Araucania and Texas. I wonder what reputation the Germans have with all the racists and white supremacist, but also with the colonized
have peoples?

If you think i'm going too far in my questions, please say it, then i shall let it rest immediately. I think you did a wonderful job and i don't want to spoil your pleasure in making things like this, which i just enjoy watching it unfold.
I had thought it would be something like what you said. So like in OTL The old republic got overrun by the French revolutionaries and Napoleon put his brother Louis in the position of King of Holland, but from your other wikibox i gather that the Napoleonic regime didn't collapse as it did in OTL and that Louis even succeeds his brother eventually. So what does that mean for the Netherlands? Was it still annexed at a point? I can't actually see the Oranjes restored, as they were too much aligned with GB to be acceptable in such a position.
The Bonapartes were kept in place in France but the Napoleonic regime fell in the rest of Europe so the Oranjes were restored in the Netherlands at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, which ITTL were about the same as OTL until the Treaty of Fontainebleau in 1814.

when I look at the Germans in Araucania and Texas. I wonder what reputation the Germans have with all the racists and white supremacist, but also with the colonized
have peoples?
There was no Nazi regime ITTL so I don't think there'd necessarily be any reason for people ITTL to associate Germans with white supremacy more than any other European nationality (which is not to say that TTL Germany wouldn't employ white supremacy, especially in its colonies, just that it would be at a similar level as other European powers). Though I am thinking that the German settlers may have set themselves up as a dominant minority at least unofficially discriminating against the actual Mapuche natives for a while before eventually being brought back down by some kind of populist/nationalist movement.

Why does 80% of TTL content look like this to me? ((
[whimper sounds]
Oh jeez I have no idea, if it helps though I also post everything from here on Reddit and DeviantArt. Maybe the forum is only showing you uploaded images and isn't properly showing linked images?

Last edited:
High-Speed Rail in North America
With the major disclaimer that I don't know anything about trains, so if you think something doesn't make sense you're probably right and if you ask me about standard gauges I may well cry, here's a map of the high-speed rail network of North America!

AFAoS banner.png

dg2apw0-59089578-894f-43ce-9fdc-dbcd61984100.png