The Dukes of Fernau, for now.

This is actually one of the wholesomest archs in the whole story so far, i love it.
Have to mix in some straight up uncomplicated joys. Even in a timeline that claims to be working toward a mildly better world than ours, there’s still plenty of challenge en route. So… joys.

Oh little one...If i speak i'm in big trouble. We're talking about Frederick Henry's daughter, right?
Yes.

Although “we” makes it sound as though Martin is too. I’m sure he caught up quickly.

I’ve been slow picking up the tale of late, unsure of what episodes are worth writing. I’m erring on the side of those that most sow or reap alternateness. This will mean a little time jump forward, but another correspondence chapter can catch us up on events worth telling but less worth showing.

72. Correspondence from Loango, Onitsha and the Cape, 1657.
Trade and Travel

My lords,

Our trading post is established!Here where there is a great pooling of the Zaire river, we have set up huts, next to those of our fisherman neighbours. They call this place Nkuna. A little tributary river, the Mfoa, runs at times strongly enough toward the Zaire to power a waterwheel we've set up for our mill.
Martin, you will be pleased to know we have already made three modest ZK sailboats to head further upriver. Their shallow draft, maneuverability, and our ability to put them together more and more quickly are all helping us know the river rather better. Our Teke fisher friends were at first skeptical of sailing, but are already learning to enjoy river travel with less paddling.
We send men upriver in those three boats now, to meet whomever they can find.
The rest remain behind, milling, building the next ZKs a little more slowly, and starting to lay out a really good warehouse. We're also planning to make the overland side of our operation a little easier. We may put some stone steps into the harder climbs on our way. We'll place huts and storage for those who bring goods from Nkuna to the Loango coast. We'll look to see where some small rivers may be worth bridging to make our cart-road a little better. Alongside our friends in Loango, we should soon have the most efficient avenue to trade with the river, faster than anything Kongo or the Portuguese vassal kingdoms nearby could manage. When our sailors come back, we can hope to begin drawing the trade to ourselves.
Also! I am to be married! Sara (the green-eyed beauty Martin may remember listening to my fireside stories) and I will be wed at the Temple overlooking the gorge, in June, around the solstice.
Anyone from Fernau is welcome, of course. Send word if we shall have to expand the temple to hold more guests. Sara, her father and I will divide our time between Diosso and Nkuna. I guess we will divide most our lifetime between Diosso and Nkuna, and possibly places upriver.

Be well up in Fernau, my lords.

Motke

- - -

We met the Obi of Nnewi. Obi means something like Duke, but this Obi is apparently also a king. He is one of many Obis around here, but the one whose authority seems most political of those nearby. We have permission to build our trading quarter at a place most seem to call Onitsha. I write "most" because different groups are are jumbled nearby, with the river doing only a halfway good job of serving as a boundary between groups. Onitsha seems only a few dozen years old, so we have plenty of flexibility as to land to choose. Nnewi is east of the river, and the Obi there is formidably old. But he values river trade, and if we bring more of it to his side of the river, he will value us.

We are about 70 miles upriver from where the Joliba branches out into its formidable delta. The start of the delta is in turn about 70 miles from the sea, depending on which branch you choose. The Portuguese set up small trade posts at the mouths of at least one or two on the west side. Though they seem in disuse, we avoid those channels to conceal our presence upriver from them for now.

The maps from the Joliba expedition suggest the place its leader stayed to heal is another 150 to 200 miles upriver from here. We've sent men to retrieve him in your name, assuming he still lives. Once we are established here, we will see to sending men upriver to explore his place of rapids as a further post. I don't know how many petty kingdoms they will pass through to get there and back. This place is like a Black Germany, full of little overlapping places and enclaves each ruled by someone with a different title. Maybe these aren't savages at all, politically speaking. Maybe Germans are.

The delta has some annoyingly shallow silted bits. We shall have to map the more reliable channels better. We'll have to find the sweet spot of ship sizes to both handle the river's delta and then cross to Fernau. A few more crossings will solve it.

- - -

We were immensely surprised as we were rounding the Cape to find a pinkish flag flying there. We signalled to the Dutch ships of our fellow-travellers that we would tack closer. What a surprise to find a flag just like our own, though with rather faded colour. We saw
Courland's Ark at anchor and put settled in nearby. The men there said they'd been present only weeks, but they would happily share with us from their stores - saying it would be good practice for their future.
I am leaving you this letter with them, alongside a number of promising plants. Some are sadly starting to suffer from too long at sea, and we will hope your Cape gardeners can revive those plants requiring a kinder balance of sun and shade we could offer on deck or below while at sea. It may well be we deposit more at Saint Helena.
The short version of our tale is this: the Eastern leg of our journey with the VOC ships was a success. We return laden with many harvested spices. There is silk that impressed us, though the Dutch say it is third-rate. Cinnamon and Cardamom and a variety of other things besides. As expected, the Dutch have insisted on everything with particularly high value for its weight travel on their ships. We have the lesser and bulkier goods. But though they would not tolerate us taking samples of the finest spice plants, they did accept us taking other plants. I'm sure they thought we would choose food plants, and we did indeed return with some of those.
We met people along one shoreline east and opposite of India, while we paused for fresh water. They had little to trade that interested our Dutch friends, but discovering that was still worth their while. You will see on our map. I think the Dutch will keep to those great islands in the southeast of it after this.
Still: these people on the river we stopped at had the most ancient-looking boats. I do not mean their style, though all simple boats moved by paddles resemble each other somewhat. They looked so dented and pocked, and yet remained afloat despite looking older than some of the people paddling in them. Most of us paused for leisure in the mouth of the river. But a few men rowed upriver with the local men. We gave them the usual brass tools and inexpensive but useful goods popular with those who see traders rarely. They gave us many saplings, and many seeds of the same trees from which their boats were made.
The Dutch had in fact seen similar woods before, and told us we could see plantations of the stuff near Batavia. It wasn't clear whether someone made those before the Dutch came, but it's theirs now. We did put in at Batavia as well, rather later, and learned how best to germinate and plant those seeds. The Dutch, particular as ever, wouldn't give us live trees, but didn't mind us collecting more seeds, given that we already had some.
We also return with other trees, and fruit and even preserves made from fruit we could not eat fast enough: the crew has taken a liking to mango.
We also picked up vanilla plants from the Mascarene Islands on the way back. They're apparently hell to grow, which is why we were allowed to have them.
I feel I'm forgetting worthy details, but the men are already looking forward to Saint Helena. Whatever I've forgotten, I will send from there. We also have a gift for them: some lovely young spice island girls!

Last edited:
Nice dig at the late stage HRE. And a reminder that even our protagonists are slavers and human traffickers. The Brothel At The End of the Universe will not be crewed by willing women.

Nice dig at the late stage HRE.
I couldn't resist the comparison, but wasn't initially sure what to do with it. It wouldn't give any sense of familiarity or home. It might conceivably offer a very narrow comparable in how much power to expect a ruler to command. I have read exactly zero comparisons between kingdoms/domains northwest of the Cameroon line and kingdoms southeast of it. I have to lay the groundwork for those myself.
The more you go north of Loango, the less precolonial history you find. That and the record of the precolonial Jewish communities in Loango led to this timeline's focus on the great rivers of the area.

And a reminder that even our protagonists are slavers and human traffickers.
Those reminders always need giving, ideally from the points of view of contemporary people involved.

The Brothel At The End of the Universe will not be crewed by willing women.
I have also had Douglas Adams in my head with the Saint Helena Longhouse. The Restaurant at the End of.... something, anyway.

-

I think that chapter tidied up the South Atlantic sufficiently for our purposes. I see a chapter two or three away rather clearly, in Europe. But to get there, I have decisions to make about the current state of Semigallia, Courland, Poland, Prussia, Sweden, Russia.... and those are just the belligerents we knew about when our story last visited the area. Denmark, Lithuania-Ruthenia and others can easily be drawn in.

73. Amsterdam and the Vliet canal, 1657.
Diplomacy, Dowry and Duty - part one

"Mawwige is whut bwings us togevveh today. Wike a dweam wifin a dweam. Wuv - too wuv - will fowwow you forwever so tweasure your wuv."
-The Impressive Clergyman in "The Princess Bride"

Martin was remembering the happy scene: overlooking the red stone gorge of Diosso, in Loango, Motke had just married Sara. He had attended weddings before, though only in Europe. Those had had man and wife and God and Christ and echoes of either the Pope or Martin Luther. And they had traditions to them that might have been Church traditions, or German traditions, or perhaps even Baltic traditions. Those were all inheritances. How things were done because they'd been done that way since as far back as anyone could remember.

Motke's wedding was different. There was man and wife and God. There were inherited traditions, too, but none that could be assumed. Motke's Judaism and Sara's drew from a common inheritance handed down somewhat differently over thousands of miles and two or more centuries of being separate. The wild ringlets of Sara's hair, and her dark skin - less dark than many in Loango, though none of the Courlanders would have ever realized that upon first sight - was inherited from Loango, or some coast North of it raided by the Portuguese too long ago. That her skin wasn't as dark as most of the Loango Jews, let alone the rest of Loango's people, was an inheritance from Portuguese lançados. So were her green eyes.

Motke brought childhood memories of Ruthenia, long overland travel across Lithuania and now Loango, sea travel and maritime tradition from Courland. Tolerance for diversity. A culture of hard work and ingenuity. Sara brought resilience, and the culture of a former refugee community surrounded by others, then intermixing with those others. A sense of the essential. A confidence in knowing who one's people are.

They married in a Jewish temple built beside a Christian church and Mbona's temple. They emerged happy, full of faith and hope and... futures. They might have beige-to-brown-skinned children with aimlessly curly brown hair. Who knew what those children might do. But Martin thought they might do it anywhere, and with confidence both won and inherited.

He thought briefly of Crispina Peres and the women like her, enterprising black or mulatto women in partnership with their generally seaborne husbands. He thought of La Belinguère.

What would Martin's own children be? Calvinist nobility with proper Protestant educations, pale skin and perhaps chestnut hair, able to fit in and wield as much influence as their character permitted across anywhere in Northern Europe within two days' ride of the sea. His children would need olive oil for their skin in Fernau, as he did. Motke's children might not, in Fernau, Loango, or up the furthest reaches of the Zaire river... all those places their inherited intrepidness might reasonably take them.

- - -

Martin's dreams chased the source of the Zaire. He imagined finding Prester John's kingdom and writing to Portugal all about it. Maybe he should pretend to write a letter of congratulations from Prester John for the marriage or birth or coronation of a Portuguese royal.

Instead, Martin walked along canals in Amsterdam, lost in thought. His mother accompanied him. She breathed in the familiar scent of the city's air, of a European port's air. Martin breathed it out. Father was in Fernau, or perhaps Tobago or Saint Helena, investing attention, wealth and manpower. Father was breathing rather better air, in Martin's view.

Martin and his mother were accompanied by a motley bunch. Louise Charlotte was wearing the finest brand-new dress in which she could walk comfortably. Martin's hair was freshly cut; he would not consent to wearing a wig after weeks at sea and months in the tropics had seen him advance toward adulthood in a world devoid of them. Saint Helena and the court of Loango were the only times he'd even laid eyes on someone wearing a wig in the last two years. If other nobles his age were beginning to wear wigs to signal their entry into adult society, Martin instead signalled it by bearing and perfectly tailored clothes. No wig could be a substitute for someone who looked to have such a concentration of life experience. His face might have been a handsome human mask concealing a hunting cat beneath, prowling lithely and alertly in search of decisions to be made and knowledge to help make them.

His apart-ness was amplified by his alternating between comfortable, attentive silence and conversation in a language no one born in Amsterdam understood, with four blacks dressed in ways varying from half- to fully- European, and varying from practical to conspicuous displays of affluence.

The point was to be seen, of course, and to stand out.

All while killing time between their arrival and eventually meeting Martin's fiancée.

- - -

Hofwijck_westkant.JPG

So they went to visit an old friend. Sir Constantijn Huygens had had a lovely mansion built as an escape from city life, before he had ever come to Courland to lead Libau's academy. Hofwijck was a marvellously peaceful estate on the Vliet canal, nearer The Hague than Leiden. Its name literally meant "escape from the court." It also meant "garden place," because Constantijn was a poet and sometime politician with a gift for double meanings.

"Louise Charlotte, my Duchess. Welcome to my home. And you, Martin. 'Count of Fernau' is it now?"

"Sir Constantijn" said mother and son in unison, with a curtsey and a bow. Martin deferred to his mother.

"This place suits you, Constantijn. Thank you for inviting us for a brief stay."

"A couple days here will let the rumour mills in Amsterdam and The Hague run wild on on your behalf. Even here, messengers find me to tell of the dashing and exotic young prince come to sweep a lucky Dutch princess off her feet. You've done well, my..." he bit off the word boy before saying it "...count. Count... of Fernau. Clever to choose a title beyond Europe. It's beyond gainsaying to anyone here, so long as you look and act the part. As you so clearly have done."

"Thank you. I have had a most excellent education from most excellent teachers." He bowed not only to Constantijn, but also to two of his black companions. "Sir Constantijn Huygens, meet Udo of the Joliba River delta and Merima of Loango. Half of what I learned came from Sir Constantijn or teachers he selected. Half of the words I've learned in the last two years came from teachers like Merima and Udo. And this" - he indicated the best-dressed of them all, and spoke in a slower German - "this is Afo of Kaye. A nephew of the last Kaye king of Loango. His manservant is Fioti. I have written to you of Afo."

Constantijn replied in slow German as well. "This is a place of quiet and respite. Let us not speak of business until everyone is quite comfortable."

"Fitting," said Louise Charlotte. "We are in fact here to see to the comfort of others."

"Oh?"

Martin replied. "We could have disembarked in the Hague. Then we would have met Princess Marie and her mother sooner. But my mother suggested any young woman would appreciate time to have a new dress made for the occasion of meeting her fiancé."

"Ah. Diplomacy upon diplomacy."

In short order, but in no particular haste, everyone was comfortable. Constantijn told of the letters of enquiry he had sent to Paris, Scotland, Germany, England, Prague, Krakow and even the one he'd hand-delivered to Leiden. Martin and Afo would be welcome at any university they'd asked about.

-

"If I may be so bold as to recommend, Martin? Enquiring with Krakow was politeness, and the Sorbonne politeness or politics. You will not desire a Catholic education." Louise Charlotte let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. "That also rules out Scotland. Wittenberg would place you within the reach of allies of your enemies, even if that's your uncle." He turned to Louise Charlotte. "With apologies for the bluntness."

"None are necessary. The risk is fairly noted." The Duchess' sense of fairness did not reduce the tension she felt. Constantijn continued.

"To follow your father's education at Leipzig is as bad, to follow it to Rostock is impossible for worse reasons. The Charles Ferdinand University in Prague is fully restored to the quality it had prior to the Thirty Years War. Heidelberg is your finest option in Protestant Germany. Leiden has been most excellent for my son Christiaan since returning here - do visit him, by the way - but your engagement to a Princess of Orange is enough diplomacy for these provinces. You've assured our neutrality at worst. Until we have a Stadtholder willing to take your side against Sweden - in diplomacy at least - you have more incentive to be where you have more opportunity to swing the diplomatic tide against Sweden and Russia."

"The best place to work against Russia seems to be Sweden, though."

"True. So choose where you can most serve your cause against Sweden."

Afo was content to be pursuing a university education, period. He deferred to Martin as to which. Martin asked, in politeness, and in two languages to be sure. Enough time to decide.

"Sir Constantijn, what is there to commend Oxford over Cambridge, or Cambridge over Oxford?"

74. The Hague, 1657.
Diplomacy, Dowry and Duty - part two

Martin bowed as deeply as he ever had to anyone.

"It is a long-awaited pleasure to meet you, Princess."

"And you, Count Martin of Fernau. Oh, please stop bowing! Let me see your face! I've heard so much of you - such stories! - but it's as though nothing I've heard comes from anyone who has met both of us. Is that strange?"

"It would be strange if I lived nearby. Or if I lived... somewhere in the Rhineland. My life has been in Courland. Libau, mostly. And these last 18 months on the Gulf of Guinea. It's less than a tenth of my life. But it feels like a majority of my experience."

"I do get ever so excited to travel. My sister Luise Henriette married when I was tiny. I still remember carrying her flowers. But now she lives in a castle her husband built her and it is so lovely the entire town was renamed after the castle. Oranienburg. But I suppose you know all that as she married your uncle."

Martin simply laughed. "My life has given me reason to focus on other aspects of my uncle's story."

"Oh, my. I am sorry to have brought it up. I suppose I am not soon to be visiting Oranienburg again."

"When there is peace, it should be my pleasure to take you there. Frederick William is an opportunist. He is also a good host."

"That sounds like diplomatic talk. I heard that from mother all the time."

"It is. I will not deny it."

"Well, Count Martin of Fernau, diplomacy me this: I know you've been offered your choice of three islands as a dowry. Have you chosen one?"

"I will confess a preference. But no, I have made no decision. Oruba is well-placed to compete and cooperate with Spain. Half of Sint Maarten suits my name. Flattery does not motivate me, though. Neither does a land border with France. My preference would be Mauritius."

"But it's so far away!"

"It is. Every time I've gone farther from home than I've ever been, I return better. In knowledge. In experience. In judgment. If travel is a thing you love, Princess Maria of Orange-Nassau, travel will be my gift to you. My father promised my mother gardens on three continents. She has seen them all and taken charge of them herself, to some extent. I will bring you to gardens on five continents, and assure you of welcome at each. House Kettler rules over little land - may it be more again, soon. But we can befriend anyone who meets us at sea."

"That... sounds like... adventure?" She smiled, cautiously and radiantly all at once. Adventure was lovely! Inspiring! The stuff of stories! Adventure on a scale incomprehensible to her lived experience might also be overwhelming in ways she could never have anticipated twenty seconds earlier. Her future felt suddenly more unknown.

"Where will we be married?"

"Wherever those who love you can attend in the numbers you most desire."

-

Their mothers settled on having the wedding in the fall of 1659, in Libau if possible, The Hague otherwise. Maria would be newly 17, Martin a half year older. Then they would move to Oxford or Cambridge to begin life together.

- - -

Then there followed diplomacy and trade. Before returning to Fernau, Martin and Afo would visit both Oxford and Cambridge, London and possibly Edinburgh (it depended where the King was). Louise Charlotte hoped to meet her brother, if it could be done safely. And whatever might be done to aid Courland and Semigallia needed discovering and doing.

The state of the Baltic watershed was this:

Clockwise from about Rostock to Riga, neither borders nor areas of control had changed, save by marriages or inheritances tweaking which minor prince was in charge of which splotch of land upriver in Germany. Sweden and Swedish Pomerania fed into their war effort. German neighbours raised eyebrows and occasionally fingers toward Pomerania, Brandenburg or Poland, and either added to their militaries or scoffed at those who suggested that.

Denmark looked nervously across its Scanian border, or at the number of guns on new ships from Kalmar or Gothenburg, and wrote anxious letters to friends. Equally tense was Livonia. To their east was Russia, always breathing heavily over their border. To their south were Semigallia, occupied mostly by Russia, and Courland, occupied by a swirling dance of Russian and Swedish forces trying to prevent each other from taking the Couronian ports of Libau and Windau. Courlanders were alternately suppressed and relieved from suppression by this dance, or, behind the walls of some of the Livonian Order's fortified towns, alternately besieged, threatened, attacked or left alone. With armies to feed and supply, the taxes bit extra hard wherever there was enough order to collect them. Livonia chafed.

Small wonder that Lithuania to the south and southeast was nervous as hell, with the same two opportunistic giants breathing and salivating across its borders as well, and its sister-state of Poland being ground to dust to its southwest. Many wanted to come to Poland's aid. But Lithuania's commonwealth was with Ruthenia now, not Poland. And the Cossacks of Ruthenia were far from learning to love Poland.

The primary reason Sweden and Prussia didn't already hold all of Poland between them was the standoff with Russia in Courland. Russian troops in Semigallia and Courland prevented Swedish troops there from relocating to Poland. Swedish troops in Courland meant handy manpower to defend Livonia if Russia were to (finally?) invade there. Courland was doubly-occupied, still, but neither Sweden nor Russia could establish any new order while the other had an army lurking within the same territory. Farmers farmed, herders herded. The simplest tier of Courland's economy continued working. Manufacturing all but disappeared. Those who could keep Bauske, Mitau, Doblen, Goldingen, Libau and Windau going did their best. Their best could not be enough.
Russia had more spare military capacity than Sweden, and conquered Mitau early in 1656 while Swedish forces pushed west. Bauske starved, resupplied, sent families away, starved again. It remained free, but its freedom held less and less value, especially with Russia holding both Mitau to the west and everything to the east. West of Mitau, Doblen's mills kept rebuilding with wood whatever stone fell to Swedish or Russian probing. Further west again, Frauenburg's bowl-shaped valley might as well have been a welcome mat for attackers. It had fallen to each of Sweden and Russia in the last two years, with whoever didn't hold it inconveniencing its resupply until the other withdrew again. Hasenpoth had been part of Pilten until Jacob purchased all of Pilten from its bishop. Sweden swept through the former bishopric and took Goldingen, the old capital of Courland. Russians claimed Hasenpoth behind them. Goldingen was near enough the Baltic for Sweden to press Windau from both land and sea; it fell to Sweden in January 1657.
Libau held. Hasenpoth was too nearby for Sweden to pinch it between land and sea as it had Windau further north. Russia, of course, had no navy on the Baltic. Manpower and industry that had served to turn Libau into the Baltic's commercial centre of gravity in two decades turned instead to fortifying it. It was grim labour, industry without the ingenuity. Surviving in place of thriving.

Poland, then: Brandenburg and Prussia controlled its entire Baltic coast (mostly with its impressive army, but aided by a number of Couronian-built and anywhere-built ships that made up their navy. Swedish armies landed at Danzig or Königsberg and stormed up the Vistula to rampage wherever possible. The further south they went, the less Brandenburg and Prussian armies kept up with them, preferring to consolidate their hold on land nearer the Baltic. Royal Prussia as far south as Marienwerder was clearly theirs.
South of there, Sweden had rampaged across the Polish countryside. Poland seemed never to win a battle, only to determine the cost to Sweden of each victory. The cost was high enough for Sweden not to hold Krakow after victory there, and for the German mercenary companies in their employ to be ordered to besiege or torch cities nearby that might resupply it.

- - -

in part 3, the diplomacy in reaction to all the above

Next-day thoughts: I oscillated between being proud and self-recriminating about condensing all the war updating into a few short paragraphs. In the end, though it was a bit of telling that might have been showing, I realized the story of Courland-in-exile didn't need to shine an equal spotlight on Courland-left-behind. I'm not sure this was my best storytelling, or my best research, but I'm ok with that. The point is how the characters we've been introduced to interact with the situation back home, and that I won't skip past as breezily.

We have our standoff between Russia and Sweden, and Sweden burning through its war resources while Prussia is more prudently-paced. We have Semigallia mostly lost, Courland mostly in an awkward limbo, partly carved up in a never-too-stable way, and Libau in particular hemmed in between Sweden at sea and Russia just inland of them, persisting in a no-man's-land.

All it takes to blow everything up is for Russia or Sweden to come to blows, which could be anywhere from the Gulf of Finland to Libau. Lithuania-Ruthenia could find itself willingly or unwillingly at war, or in a Ruthenian war of secession. To the south, there is Transylvania, Moldavia, or the Hapsburgs who might decide they want to be a part of restabilizing Poland. Denmark, hoping, waiting, tense.

All told, a very similar mess to Poland vs Sweden OTL, with a couple wildcards unplayed as of yet.

- - -

And Martin has met his bride-to-be. I tried to make her a fairly normal astoundingly wealthy noble teenager, if that's possible. This timeline needs touchstone people from time to time to highlight the differences exile in Guinea bring to our main characters. Martin especially needs such contrasts, as he more than any revel in this pursuit of value in the unfamiliar.

Now that we've seen a (brutal?) summary of the war's status, my next task is to sketch the stances and attitudes of those in or around the fighting.

Maybe these aren't savages at all, politically speaking. Maybe Germans are.
Once you stop to think about it, both are valid interpretations :p
We also have a gift for them: some lovely young spice island girls!
This sounds as silly ("lovely young spice island girls" isn't a term i expected hearing, ever) as it sounds uncomfortable (for obvious reasons), i stand conflicted and reminded of the off-putting nature of human trafficking.
"Mawwige is whut bwings us togevveh today. Wike a dweam wifin a dweam. Wuv - too wuv - will fowwow you forwever so tweasure your wuv."
I hate this, i tried deciphering this by reading out loud, it reached unstainable levels of awkward (bwings???? wike a dweam wifin a dweam??? wuv too wuv????) then gave and tried the slow way of reading into it. I still have not understood it perfectly ("Wuv - too wuv" means what? Wive too Wive? It doesn't even make sense).
He thought of La Belinguère.
I love this recurring trope.
What would Martin's own children be? Calvinist nobility with proper Protestant educations, pale skin and perhaps chestnut hair, able to fit in and wield as much influence as their character permitted across anywhere in Northern Europe within two days' ride of the sea. His children would need olive oil for their skin in Fernau, as he did. Motke's children might not, in Fernau, Loango, or up the furthest reaches of the Zaire river... all those places their inherited intrepidness might reasonably take them.
I find it curious that there seems to be an implied "boringness" to Martin's reflection here, almost as if he's in his mind reminiscing about how unparticular ("able to fit in", "as he did") his children could end up be, i might be reading too much into it, but i think this sequence shows a bit of how Martin prides himself on being recognized as different (and that this = better) from his peers, and that to just follow the regular cycle his entire bloodline up to this point has followed is – although obviously not a surprise, and not the end of the world – disappointing, a Teenager's Let Down™, if you may.
Martin's dreams chased the source of the Zaire. He imagined finding Prester John's kingdom and writing to Portugal all about it. Maybe he should pretend to write a letter of congratulations from Prester John for the marriage or birth or coronation of a Portuguese royal.
As i'm commenting as i go along reading, i was pleasantly surprised for the next paragraph to vindicate my random Martin's personality brainstorming with a random adventure fantasy, i was right! Yay!
Father was breathing rather better air, in Martin's view.
Bro really became the first teen in recorded history to go in vacation and be sorely disappointed by having to get out of vacation.
Udo of the Joliba River delta
"Udo of the Joliba River delta" (a whooping 6 words to name someone!) is truly one of the all-time presentations.
"I do get ever so excited to travel. My sister Luise Henriette married when I was tiny. I still remember carrying her flowers. But now she lives in a castle her husband built her and it is so lovely the entire town was renamed after the castle. Oranienburg. But I suppose you know all that as she married your uncle."

Martin simply laughed.
Her conclusion would also bring me to laugh, a lot of sister talk and then "oh yes she's kind of your aunt ain't her?" is peak early modern european nobility.
"It is. Every time I've gone farther from home than I've ever been, I return better. In knowledge. In experience. In judgment. If travel is a thing you love, Princess Maria of Orange-Nassau, travel will be my gift to you. My father promised my mother gardens on three continents. She has seen them all and taken charge of them herself, to some extent. I will bring you to gardens on five continents, and assure you of welcome at each. House Kettler rules over little land - may it be more again, soon. But we can befriend anyone who meets us at sea."
Why does it feel like i'm watching my son lol, i've become way too invested in this Count of Fernau boy.
I tried to make her a fairly normal astoundingly wealthy noble teenager, if that's possible.
Well, at least i had come to this conclusion, so i guess it worked?

Excellent string of chapters, by the way, if my extensive commenting-as-i-read doesn't make my objective opinion on it clear :).

This sounds as silly ("lovely young spice island girls" isn't a term i expected hearing, ever) as it sounds uncomfortable (for obvious reasons), i stand conflicted and reminded of the off-putting nature of human trafficking.
It has to be "just part of my job" to many of those involved in order for it to make sense to keep doing it. So that tension between flippant and complimentary and abominable feels exactly right.

I hate this, i tried deciphering this by reading out loud, it reached unstainable levels of awkward (bwings???? wike a dweam wifin a dweam??? wuv too wuv????) then gave and tried the slow way of reading into it. I still have not understood it perfectly ("Wuv - too wuv" means what? Wive too Wive? It doesn't even make sense).

may help.

I find it curious that there seems to be an implied "boringness" to Martin's reflection here, almost as if he's in his mind reminiscing about how unparticular ("able to fit in", "as he did") his children could end up be, i might be reading too much into it, but i think this sequence shows a bit of how Martin prides himself on being recognized as different (and that this = better) from his peers, and that to just follow the regular cycle his entire bloodline up to this point has followed is – although obviously not a surprise, and not the end of the world – disappointing, a Teenager's Let Down™, if you may.

You hit very nearly the mark I intended (which is enough for my writerly satisfaction). I have consciously written an apartness to Martin, whether among his siblings, or co-religionists, or another basis for community. Basically, I'd agree with your entire paragraph save the word "pride." I don't know that he prides himself on his difference - or anything at all, really. He covets opportunity and accomplishment. He envies the predisposition toward new opportunities that the children of Motke and Sara might have. His own children will have opportunities some might see as greater (stupendous wealth and default political influence). Martin probably conflates "novel" with "better" somewhat. He would prefer to do what hasn't been done.

Bro really became the first teen in recorded history to go in vacation and be sorely disappointed by having to get out of vacation.
I laughed. Rather hard. Ironically, Europe is more the vacation for him, and he would probably return to work. Let's see what work he finds in Europe.

"Udo of the Joliba River delta" (a whooping 6 words to name someone!) is truly one of the all-time presentations.

The teacher introductions are overblown, but the point with that one was to show respect for teachers in how all teachers are introduced. Udo is there because languages west of the Cameroon line tend to be a different family (or families) from those southeast of it. Martin needs his trade network to communicate across such divides.

Her conclusion would also bring me to laugh, a lot of sister talk and then "oh yes she's kind of your aunt ain't her?" is peak early modern european nobility.
I found the connection only after I'd settled on her as the fiancée. Oops!
Happily, it feels more authentic for the extra connection. Euro-nobility is a closed club.

Excellent string of chapters, by the way, if my extensive commenting-as-i-read doesn't make my objective opinion on it clear :).
Thank you so much. Your comments (plural you, but in this case single you especially) are part of the pleasure of writing this tale.

may help.
What if i said to you that it made it worse? I couldn't understand what he said past half the video! :coldsweat:
He covets opportunity and accomplishment. He envies the predisposition toward new opportunities that the children of Motke and Sara might have. His own children will have opportunities some might see as greater (stupendous wealth and default political influence). Martin probably conflates "novel" with "better" somewhat. He would prefer to do what hasn't been done.
If my mark-hitting satisfies your writerly satisfaction, i'd add that this satisfies my readerly satisfaction :p, i've been reading this "right", hurray!
Udo is there because languages west of the Cameroon line tend to be a different family (or families) from those southeast of it. Martin needs his trade network to communicate across such divides.
Of this i'm reasonably aware, west of the line is populated by peoples that speak non-Bantoid Benue-Congo languages and non-Bantu Southern Bantoid languages (severe love/hate relationship with african language classifications), while southeast of it you have mostly Southern Bantoid + Bantu. To a certain point, it's all related, but you can interpret as the further southeast one goes from the Cameroon Line, recentlier (lol) has occurred the split from Proto-Bantoid.

Kinda tangential, but i didn't know if you were aware of this (as in, the details of "tend to be a different family", because they all do share a common ancestor), so i guess the intention is what matters here.
I found the connection only after I'd settled on her as the fiancée. Oops!
Now that's a making of. Although if you get paranoid enough with your research it is almost too easy to find family connections between early modern nobility, heh.
Thank you so much. Your comments (plural you, but in this case single you especially) are part of the pleasure of writing this tale.
I'm grateful for being in the ride so far, so you're welcome! :biggrin:

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
THE DUKES OF FERNAU, FOR NOW
A timeline of colonial Courland and Semigallia

Point of Departure:

in 1638, Courland rather unintentionally offers more religious freedom than even the Polish-Lithuaninan Commonwealth, the most tolerant and multi-faith society in Europe.

Key Questions:

What if, instead of Courland and Semigalia being occupied for two years in 1658, it was for a generation or more?
And also what if the Kettlers, the Couronian trading fleet, and thousands of capable settlers managed to flee to their nascent colonies, there to survive in exile, and continue to advance as a society, untethered to their European homeland? Waiting to return, perhaps, but never idly....

Prologue:

Once the Hanseatic League
Brought trade and grew the town of Riga
God was brought there by crusade
And Courland lived in Riga’s shade

The Poles and Lithuania
In their great
res publica
Home to rival Christian factions
Thrived despite their Sejm’s inactions

And then: know you of Kettler's gall
From Semigallia to Senegal?
The Kettler line who dreamed it all
From Livonian Order to Tobago’s fall?

Vassal to the Polish crown
Neutral to the kings all around
But great ships Courland made and sailed
To colonies Jakob dreamed, which failed

Let us keep the Kettlers bold
But trace for them a different fate
Amplify the yield of both
Bold adventures, blind mistakes
Is your title an intentional pun?

If so, I get it.

Is your title an intentional pun?

If so, I get it.
Absolutely, to my shame and delight.

My mother immigrated from Germany as a child, and then became an English teacher, then an English as a Second Language teacher later in her career. Her delight in atrocious puns translated into a love-hate relationship with puns for me. You'll find a few other examples of entirely questionable wordplay later in the timeline, whether it's messing with German names like Gotthard or making a ghastly portmanteau of Mbanzeatic League. Happily, none of this morbid fascination with wordplay is allowed to stand in the way of telling the damn story.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Absolutely, to my shame and delight.

My mother immigrated from Germany as a child, and then became an English teacher, then an English as a Second Language teacher later in her career. Her delight in atrocious puns translated into a love-hate relationship with puns for me. You'll find a few other examples of entirely questionable wordplay later in the timeline, whether it's messing with German names like Gotthard or making a ghastly portmanteau of Mbanzeatic League. Happily, none of this morbid fascination with wordplay is allowed to stand in the way of telling the damn story.
Wunderbar-

It reminds me of one my work colleagues, Andrew Harter, who confessed to me that his wife had to restrain him from naming his daughter "Arya".

I will always appreciate Dad Jokes, even though I have not reproduced, and Bart Simpson-style prank-calls.

75. Various correspondence, 1657.
Diplomacy, Dowry, and Duty - part three

After meeting with your ambassador in The Hague, he assures me the proposal we jointly came to will meet with your approval. Many Lithuanians wish to come to Poland's aid, other Lithuanians and Ruthenians would be horrified to see Lithuania formally joining the war. I am pleased to offer you the convenience of Couronian funds and banners that you might sent a regiment of volunteers or mercenaries to fight on my behalf for my suzerain. Though Poland was unable to aid in our Duchy's defence, Courland and Semigallia still take their duties as vassal seriously. Though we have lost much, we are pleased to be able to give what we can.
On my father's behalf, and the whole Duchy's, thank you as well for your tolerance, risk-taking, and help in allowing us to resupply Bauske and villages near your border. It will not be forgotten. Our gratitude will find you.

- - -

My lord Frederick, third of your name,

The Duchy of Courland and Semigallia shall be immensely glad to assist you in your efforts to blockade the port of Gothenburg. There will be no need to purchase Couronian ships as you propose. We will gladly contribute our own crews, though any assistance resupplying them from Kristiansand (or better yet Hansted) could only help our shared goals. Perhaps, should the value of our aid merit it, Denmark might also consider joining Courland for more naval ventures in the Baltic as well? Perhaps if the winter is mild, we shall be able to draw up plans.

- - -

My distant friend Paolo,

I thank you for your confirmation that the eclipse of 1654 was seen in India. I confess I was not able to situate "Honnavar" without the aid of a good map. Fortunately it is not difficult to find good maps in Amsterdam, which has been our home base or this visit to Europe. As the same was seen over Brest and Copenhagen and Scotland, I am confident a line can be drawn across the globe from at least India to Scotland, a line traced by the moon's perfect shadow as the Earth spun beneath it. I shall keep my promise from my bounty and send you a telescope. I hope it will find you if I address it to you at Honnavar?

- - -

My Duchess,

So much of Courland has been lost. Those of us staying keep fed and warm. We stay alive while these armies keep picking at our crops and orchards. Some of us, because we have little else to do, have taken to resuming care for your garden in Goldingen. The fruit goes to the invaders. But maybe you'll take some comfort in knowing that the plants have been cared for. The flowers bloomed. We keep something that is Courland alive here. In your name.

- - -

Joachim, don't worry! You have father around to take the difficult decisions. The trick is to learn which of the little decisions you can take for yourself. Maybe you can decide what fruit trees should go up the mountain to Rohia. Gardeners love talking about where plants will do well. Ask questions! Listen carefully to the answers.

Next-day thoughts per usual:

This felt like a small and simple update. With the correspondence chapters I tend to want to get one plot point covered per segment, and then have a segment or two that may or may not have much plot value, but add a little spice along the margins of the story.

Plot, then: a quick dose of Lithuania's anxiety over its current position between belligerents in Poland, Russia's half of the Couronian occupation, and Russia itself, but also a minor partnership that helps keep Courland supplied in a minor way.

Denmark looking to take the offensive, at least to close Sweden up into the the Baltic. Compared with OTL, this is just mildly behind schedule. Our ATL war started differently and has proceeded slightly more slowly than OTL. For the moment, it looks like Prussia is better off than OTL, Russia mildly better off, Courland worse but its colonies and navy better off, Lithuania less bad, Sweden successful but mildly less so, and Poland looking like an already-carved chunk of roadkill, with pockets of life.

My options for where to go next:
  • the Couronian/Lithuanian regiment
  • Siege the first
  • Siege the second
The sieges can be told in either order, but the regiment piece comes before at least one of them. After that, Martin & Mom return to Fernau, and the war progresses more, in either order.

76. Talsen, Bauske, Birzai and Brest, 1657.
Jägers

Ged's life had been more or less wrecked. He was a hard worker even if he tended toward simple work. He was a dependable friend, though he kept only a few close friends. He was thorough in his expressions of gratitude.

He'd worked at the ironworks in Talsen. Then Sweden showed up. Being invaded without much battle was weird. It was almost like having a taxman come knocking at your door to take stock of what you needed to pay. In the fortified towns left over from the Livonian Order, there was battle. Usually Courland lost quickly. Sometimes Courland lost slowly. Sometimes Courland hadn't completely lost yet. Losing was a process.

Ged understood process well. He was good at ensuring the quality in the ironworks, whether it was making a few thousand hinges for those semaphore frames, or nails and braces for construction. So Ged was invited to join the Talsen gunsmiths. Early in the invasion, Sweden gave men who had been making muskets the choice to make them for Sweden, or find something else to do. They chose to continue, because making things kept their town commercially alive. Metal and wood and more could come in, and though they would hardly be getting good prices for their work, they'd have something.

Ged was good at recognizing quality, and he made sure that their haste and corner-cutting produced weapons that were every bit as reliable as... as...
...as the some of the worst muskets they'd made before the invasion. Instead of making good muskets in the normal time, they made poor ones in about two-thirds of the time, and sold them to their new Swedish overlords at about one-third the price.

With the extra time their haste and willful inattention to detail bought them, they did what Courlanders had been doing for two decades. They refined new ideas from elsewhere in search of improved products and process. They made rifles. Hesse had been arming Jäger units - literally huntsmen and foresters - with rifles in place of muskets since the thirties. The spin a rifled barrel would impart to a ball would give it greater accuracy, and often better range. Good things came at a price, though: rifles took longer to reload than muskets. So outside Hesse's huntsmen and foresters, militaries didn't much care for them.

Courland didn't really have a military. And Talsen's gunsmiths knew nothing they made would change that. But... if anyone in Courland, or anyone among Courland's friends, felt like shooting at Swedes might be a good use of powder? The least a loyal gunsmith could do is help make their shots count.

They did it right under Swedish noses, being "underpaid" by them for pretty-but-poor musket after pretty-but-poor musket, while poor locals settled for "overpaying" for ugly-but-finessed rifles. The Swedes scoffed at the breech-loading, long-barrelled things:

"Those hinged sticks might be fine for hitting a bear or a wolf at distance. You just have to pray it's a lone wolf, otherwise you'll have teeth on your leg before you're done reloading. Pray you're never forced to bring those an enemy with proper muskets."

The Swedish infantryman patted his new musket, the low price of which he happily and casually gloated over. As he bled to death after a woeful accuracy in a gunfight three weeks later, "proper muskets" were among his final thoughts.

- - -

Three weeks later, Gediminas also felt his life was over. Unlike the Swedish infantryman, he got to start a new life, though. Russians came foraging farther north than usual, which made the Swedes twitchy. Twitchy Swedes were Talsen's least favourite kind of Swedes; people Ged had known or worked with or even lived with for years died. Ged told those who remained to him that he was leaving for somewhere with less war or better walls. As he was Lithuanian, he would probably head south. In the end, his colleagues convinced him to bring as many rifles as possible to Bauske.

Five weeks later, Ged crossed the Lithuanian border for the second time, heading north in a minor caravan from Birzai, which was effectively the headquarters of Semigallian resistance in exile. As the crow flies, it might have been a journey of 25 miles. Supply runs trying to evade Bauske's inconsistent besiegers might travel triple that distance in search of the right opportunity to either reach the city or people sneaking out of it.

Ged got many rifles to Bauske. Somewhere along the journey, he got the skin of his arm grazed by a ball from a Russian musket, returned fire, saw a soldier fall and presumed he was that soldier's killer. If it serves Courland, he thought. He admonished himself for not feeling worse about it, for not feeling more about it. He tried scolding himself in the voice of his friend Lev, who had fled before the invaders even reached Talsen. He tried scolding himself in the voice of Lev's mother, who had lived with his family from Lev's departure to her death four weeks ago. Even their imagined voices couldn't manage to get too worked up about it. All the voices took from him was sleep. He tested other things they'd said for real, before, and found they rang through his thoughts with all the conviction in the world: "Fuck Sweden and its taxes" replayed over and over. Lev's mother was a good and surprising little woman. Had been. He sighed.

Back in Birzai, after, the talk of the town was word from Martin Kettler - the Count of Fernau, he was called now. As vassal to Poland, Courland and Semigallia were calling for competent men to fight for the relief of their suzerain. This was to be the start of Courland's and Semigallia's own liberation - but Martin argued that the Duchy had to help its friends to expect its friends' help in turn. Lithuania, in Martin's words, was "graciously allowing the safe passage" of these valiant soldiers through its lands.

"Graciously allowing" looked more like "thoroughly helping and enabling" to Ged's eye. As they marched south from Birzai, their company swelled to a regiment to an army, becoming more and more Lithuanian as it went, though the banners were all from Courland and Semigallia. Livs and Lats and Jews and Kurs and others joined its ranks. People were resolved, but amiable. "Fuck Sweden and its taxes" proved a popular refrain when Ged voiced it out loud. Your mom would have been proud of us, Lev.

It should have taken them longer to reach Brest, but, again, "graciously allowing the safe passage" of this force was clearly being taken to benevolent extremes. They needed only three weeks. At Brest, they found supplies ready and waiting for them to cross the river into Poland. Word reached them that, somehow, the Rakoczis of Transylvania were sending an army northward in Sweden's aid, either making a too-modest move for the territory of southernmost Poland or a too-bold one to stake claims to Poland's throne for another generation.

The Bauske Volunteers, as they were calling themselves, meant to avoid the Transylvanians - that would likely be an army of skilled mercenaries. Though they had some good soldiers on their side (Poles and Lithuanians, mostly), they knew they weren't a top-calibre fighting force. Their goal was to cut west by southwest between Lublin and Warsaw to make resupplying a more difficult task for Sweden. They might try for Kielce, which Sweden was said to have razed and abandoned. If Sweden was dug in around there, they'd try to make resupply more challenging a little north or west of there. Too far south, they'd meet Transylvania and possibly Sweden; too near the bigger cities and they'd face Sweden, with Sweden better supplied.

- - -

"Remember, friends: everyone wants to be King of Poland except us. We just want for Poland - and maybe its faithful vassal, too - to be strong enough to decide its own King, thank you very much. We've got Courland and Semigallia's banners and funds. We've got Courland's and Lithuania's guns. We've got the best men from hundreds of miles around the Baltic ready to give aid. It's not on us to stand Poland back up; it's on us to give Poland a chance to stand itself back up."

"For Bauske!"
"FOR BAUSKE!"
Those who'd been in this army the longest shouted back louder than most.

"For Courland and Semigallia!"
"FOR COURLAND AND SEMIGALLIA!"

"For Poland!"
"FOR POLAND!"
This got a lot more voices shouting properly....

"For the Baltic!"
"FOR THE BALTIC!"
...while many Lithuanians present had never even seen the Baltic, and eased their voices a little.

"Fuck Sweden!"
"FUCK SWEDEN! FUCK SWEDEN!"
Simple cheers are the best for large groups.

Soldiers, some professional, some mercenary, some just sympathetic recruits like him, all shouted and cheered. Their voices rang out in an optimism Ged pragmatically expected to dim steadily as they headed into Poland.

He'd stopped trying to get the voices in his head to criticize him for killing a Russian soldier. But as the last chant continued, he couldn't help but complete the sentence in an old lady's voice: "...and its taxes."

Next-day thoughts:
Again, the density of war posts. We returned to a minor character from many, many chapters ago to use him as a convenient vantage point for Lithuanian adventure. I also realized I'd spelled his name wrong in the first instance, so the older chapter has also had a minor edit.

Don't worry, I'm not going to turn Couronian rifle technology into the basis for Courland to suddenly become dominant. It seemed fitting and rational for a country that invests in tech, innovation and commerce - but not in military training or any standing army of note - to decide that accuracy was more valuable to them than reload time, particularly as fewer shots is what they'll be capable of.

Birzai is also a major Radziwill family holding, but our story didn't need to delve into that.

So: Russians and Swedes circulate in Courland without engagement - yet or still. Swedes roam in central Poland, with Prussia/Brandenburg cleaning and firming things up behind them. This Lithuanian/Baltic army aims to play pest before what's left unconquered in Poland is sandwiched between Sweden and Transylvania. We have a lovely mess.

I'm looking forward immensely to the next chapter. Before putting a single word down, I'm confident in its voice and tone. I just need to think through its details before I get swept up. Mostly, I need to put a little more thought into what specific changes are required to turn the current standoffs and stalemates into the ones I need to last beyond the next few years.

It will surprise no one (perhaps @Jürgen least of all?) that our story will have to further draw in Denmark and Russia soon. Lithuania/Ruthenia remains a wildcard, even to me.