Sir John Valentine Carden Survives. Part 2.

Or an explosive that is set off by something other than shock?
some gelified version of amfo?

One solution is to use a binary explosive where the two components are stored and pumped separately only being mixed as they enter the hose and fill it.
you can make a hose with powdered ammoniumnitrate and when in position pump the diesel in. can have mesh dividers in the hose that keep it in place, but that let the fuel through(think of sections like in bamboo)

Last edited:
15 June 1942. Salisbury Plain, England.

...Both versions of the flail struggled because of the weight at the front of the tank. The heavy chains and drum on the long arms projecting from the front of the hull meant that counter weights had to be added to the back of the tank. The Matilda, already underpowered, struggled to cope with the extra weight. The Valiant versions had a bit more power to play with, and coped a bit better. Getting the flail right was the first thing, then the best tank or tanks to fit it too would be next.

The fact that the team could sit around having a cup of tea and each person, from Major-General to private to civilian, were able to speak and be taken seriously was one of Hobart’s principles that made his work progress so well. Everyone was encouraged to put forward bright ideas, from whole systems to improvements to existing ones. This was paying dividends time and again.

View attachment 906426
Put something big and heavy enough which isn't resting on the ground on one end of a tank, and centre of gravity issues start to emerge...

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
For those who have read Flame Thrower by Andrew Wilson MC, and I would thoroughly recommend it to those of you who haven’t read it yet. He as a troop commander of Churchill Crocodiles, mentioned in his memoirs watching some mad sappers during the assault on Cap Gris Nez, driving a Bren Carrier. That was fitted with a rocket deployed hose pipe and had a tank of nitroglycerin to be pumped into it, and they were desperately rocking the carrier back and forth as it had become stuck in a shell hole. So it seems that they managed to get the system to work after a fashion and it was deployed in action, if his memories are true.

RR.

It was called "Snake". Python was a wartime development that carried a hose in a de-engined Universal Carrier but it wasn't a success the one time they used it, the nitroglycerine which was pumped into the hose exploded.
Think that's wrong, Python, unless they reused the name, is the modern system. Think it was Conger ( liquid explosive WW2) , Giant Viper ( plastic explosive Cold War) and then Python ( modern day ) in British service.

The preprepared version of the Bangalore torpedo was the Canadian Pipe Mine as pushed under the road behind my father’s village as an anti invasion device. I presume they dug it back out again afterwards or a road trip towards Lowestoft could be more disturbing than most……

Nitroglycerin is sensitive to jerk, i.e. a high enough rate of change of acceleration. There is no need to have a liquid-gas boundary to create a high jerk in a fluid, although the relative compressibility of the fluid is a factor and glycerins are relatively low-compressibility. But, a fluid entirely filling a closed container that's locally rigid in its thickness direction will experience the same shock as the container, plus a multiplication effect due to the fluid mass and elasticity, and possibly focus effects due to shape.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Shaking up nitroglycerin eh? Brings to mind this scene. The Wages of Fear. A movie with a real bang to it.

A brilliant film, and parodied in the puppet series Joe 90, when in episode 5 Colonel McClaine has to drive a truck loaded with highly sensitive explosives. I always loved the pictures of the barrels of explosives suspended on springs in the back of the truck, bouncing about as Joe drove the truck through difficult terrain. 😁

RR.