Surely ned calling the red prince illegitimate would be damaging to himself as well, if ned claims the red prince is illegitimate then surely charlotte of lancaster is too, and then why would he arrange for edmund, prince of Wales to marry her? Ned needs to stick to the superior claim of York - the red prince is the legitimate child of henry vi, no doubt about it, but the york claim is stronger so he can’t have the throne.
That’s true.
Would they not call him Edward IV? Since York Edward IV is a false pretender king in their eyes
Would they be able to get away with calling him Edward IV? Pretender king or not, Edward of York has been on the throne since 1461. I don’t know if they would be able to sweep everything Edward has done under the rug.

Last edited:
Would they be able to get away with calling him Edward IV? Pretender king or not, Edward of York has been on the throne since 1461. I don’t know if they would be able to sweep everything Edward has done under the rug
And Richard III is still known as Richard III despite Henry VII declaring Edward V to be his predecessor. I think calling Lancaster Edward V make sense considering that.

Chapter Twenty: The Rose Hammers Down New
Chapter Twenty: The Rose Hammers Down

Belleau Manor, 13th March 1480

Truth be told, Bona of Savoy had come to appreciate the king’s visits to her in the last two years. While she still suspected that their friendship and his generosities towards her were all part of some amorous plan, she found that she did not mind all that much - she appreciated the company.
Since his first visit to her, Edward had lended her various amenities to make her stay more comfortable. Edward’s sister Elizabeth still visited her from time to time, although her visits had grown less frequent as time went on. The king had ensured that Bona was not isolated, either, and regularly sent knights to Bona to tell her of what was happening in Europe, including regular updates about her home in Savoy. Edward himself visited her a lot, usually around twice a month. He had even allowed Charlotte to come with him to visit her a few times, which she had been incredibly grateful for.
The last knight that had visited Bona had told her that Edward was preparing for war with Scotland, and she was concerned. Of course, she knew he was a skilled warrior - her very presence here was a testament to that. But even so, the thought of him leaving and not coming back was a worry.
Then Edward himself came to Belleau Manor. Bona recognised the regalia of the king from far off, bringing with him a small party of knights. They must be travelling north for the war. Bona thought. She waited in the garden to see him as he disembarked his horse. “I hear it is war with Scotland.” Bona said.
“Indeed, it is. The Red Prince is there - it is my intention to capture him, finally.” Edward explained, holding his helmet underneath his shoulder.
“And what will you do with him once you have him?” Bona asked.
“I will kill him.” Edward answered earnestly. “He has been a pain in my side for too long.” He said firmly.
Bona nodded. “I suppose that is for the best.” She said, and Edward smiled in a slightly confused way.
“You seem awfully nonchalant for someone who just found out that I am planning on executing their husband.”
“He is barely my husband.” Bona said dismissively. “I haven’t seen him in years, and Charlotte’s appearance is far more of Savoy than of Lancaster. He very rarely crosses my mind any more.”
“Do I cross your mind more regularly?” Edward said, stepping closer to Bona. She looked him in the eyes.
“You know you do.” She retorted. “Why are you here, Ned?”
“I wanted you to hear that I plan on killing him from my mouth first.” He said.
“And?” Bona pressed.
“And... I didn’t wish to leave without seeing you first.” Edward admitted. “I have come to very deeply cherish you, and it would hurt my soul greatly to leave without having a chance to say goodbye to you.”
Bona stepped towards Edward. She stood up on her tiptoes, and planted a soft kiss on Edward’s cheek, her hand pressing against his armoured chest for balance.
Edward looked at her as she let go of him. “Kill the Red Prince, and come back to me in one piece.” Bona said.
He held her hand and gently kissed it. “You have my word.” He said quietly.

After leaving Belleau Manor, the army continued northwards. Edward entrusted Edmund, Duke of Rutland to take control as Protector for the duration of the war, and Rutland chose to use York as his headquarters. From here, Rutland supervised the flow of food and weapons into Scotland, and also began designing a set of reforms to the English military system to begin the gradual creation of a standing army, starting with standardised training for all militiamen. The Yorkists’ first target in Scotland was Berwick-upon-Tweed, a small town that straddled the River Tweed at the Anglo-Scottish border. Due to its location, it was a strategically located town, and Edward would not allow it to remain in Scottish hands. He sent his brother Clarence with 4,000 men to take Berwick, which fell on 18th March after a short-lived battle. Edward then established his headquarters in Berwick for the war, setting up a supply depot and leaving it under the Earls of Northumberland and Westmoreland, who were given orders to raid local farms and bastle houses to supply the English army by force, while the English army pressed onwards. Meanwhile, James III removed his men from the Highlands and marched south with them and sent orders to the Red Prince, John de Vere and Jasper Tudor to take charge of the situation and fight the Yorkists. With help from the Earl of Huntly, the Lancastrians were able to conjure up an army of 9,000, while James III came south with another 15,000.

As the Scots and Lancastrians organised their defence, the English army spread along the border. From Berwick, Edward IV and Gloucester led part of the army to Duns, where they captured Duns Castle on 22nd March. A few days later, William, Earl of Pembroke and Henry, Earl of Richmond reached the town of Kelso, where they were confronted with a local militia. The militia was easily beaten off, and from Kelso Pembroke pushed towards St Boswells, where he clashed with a force of 3,000 Lancastrian soldiers, led by Jasper Tudor. Unsure of how Jasper’s nephew Richmond would react, Pembroke sent Richmond with 1,000 men to secure Jedburgh, a small town to the south. With Richmond out of the way, Pembroke and Jasper did battle on 28th March. This battle resulted in Tudor’s capture and the fall of St Boswells, which also opened the road to Edinburgh up for the Yorkists.

On 2nd April 1480, a force of 2,000 Irish soldiers landed at Cairnryan, not far from Ulster, led by Gerald, Earl of Kildare and John Courtenay. By now, James III’s army had passed between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and was now almost ready to reinforce the Lancastrians. Rutland initially planned to fight James III himself, until his scouts reported that the Scottish army outnumbered his by more than sevenfold. Kildare then suggested trailing the Scottish army instead and getting them to lead them to the main bulk of the English army. Courtenay agreed, and they set off.

By this time, the Lancastrian army, led by the Red Prince and the Earl of Oxford, had reached the town of Haddington, situated on the River Tyne, with two bridges crossing the river - one to the east and one to the south. This was also situated along the coastal path from Berwick to Edinburgh that Edward IV was now leading 12,000 soldiers up, alongside Albany, Clarence, the Earl of Richmond, who had rejoined the King’s group after taking Jedburgh, John Grey, Earl of Leicester and Thomas FitzAlan, Baron Maltravers. On 10th April 1481, Edward reached Haddington. The following morning, 11th April 1480, the Battle of Haddington began. The Lancastrians attempted to blockade the two bridges over the Tyne into Haddington, so Edward ordered a cavalry charge to slam into the blockades, opening the way for the rest of the Yorkist force to push through. However, the first bridge was not built well enough for this, and after approximately an hour of brutal fighting, the bridge collapsed under the combined weight of the two armies. Edward and Clarence retreated, making it back off the bridge before it collapsed, but Leicester was not so lucky. He fell into the river below, and under the weight of his armour, he drowned. Richmond and Maltravers made it across to the other side along with enough Yorkists to keep the battle going. In the following melee, enough Lancastrians were killed to force the Red Prince and Oxford to retreat, but Maltravers, sadly, was also killed by a Lancastrian spearman. Richmond gave chase, rallying what was left of the Yorkist troops behind him to follow on, and while Oxford managed to escape towards Edinburgh, Richmond captured the Red Prince halfway along the road to Ballencrief, to the north of Haddington, and dragged him back to Haddington, parading him to Edward IV as a prisoner. Edward then ecstatically ordered Richmond to take the Red Prince back to Lancaster Castle, where he would await execution.

At this point, Edward IV had completed the main aim of his campaign in Scotland - he had secured the capture of the Red Prince. Now, all he had to do was put Albany on the Scottish throne. The Yorkists rested in Haddington until 14th April, then set off for Edinburgh, where John de Vere, Earl of Oxford had met up with James III, and their combined armies were 17,000 soldiers strong. A force of 2,000 Irish soldiers under Kildare and Courtenay was almost at Edinburgh’s walls, and the 16,000 English soldiers were also rapidly approaching. To bolster the Scottish force, James expected at least 3,000 men under Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus to arrive, and so he decided to give battle. On 18th April 1480, the Battle of Edinburgh began. After trading volleys of arrows, the Earl of Angus's army appeared on the horizon, giving James III the confidence he needed to charge at the English army. However, James was dismayed to find out that Angus had not come to declare for him, but rather to throw his lot in with Albany as King Alexander IV. The resulting hand-to-hand battle was a bloodbath, with both James III and the Duke of Albany dying in action. When the news of James III’s death broke out, the remaining Scottish force wiltered away without leadership, and mostly scattered before they were murdered by the English. James III was dead, and the Red Prince was captured. The war was over.

Last edited: